marten

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hello,

I recently migrated from an 8500gt to a hd4550. The problem is that with the new one my display is somehow smaller, like my 24" monitor became a 22" monitor. It has a black "belt" around it, and not just in windows, it's like that right when i power on the pc, even in bios. If I plug in the old card, everything is fine, with the "new" one..black "belt" around. See pictures attached:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Any suggestions are welcomed, thank you!

Hello
Did you completely remove the 8500GT's drivers before installing the 4550 ?
If you didn't,then here is how
1_Download and install "Driver sweeper" from Guru3d.com and install
2_Go to add/remove programs and uninstall the driver and reboot
3_Boot to safe mode and open driver sweeper,then click on Nvidia and then click on clean
4_Reboot and boot normally to windows and install the new drivers after that you need to restart,and its done

marten

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I uninstalled the drivers first by doing: right click my computer, properties->device manager->right click the display adapter (8500gt) ->uninstall
Then reboot, change the video card, start windows normally (windows 7 automatically installs drivers for the new device hd4550) and install the ati drivers.
Monitor: hanns g 24" full hd, 1920x1080 native resolution. Changing the resolution doesn't help.

marten

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
it's like my 24" became a 22", no matter the resolution or driver. My computer just starts like this, right from the boot time.

marten

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I didn't say it wouldn't display. I said for a 24" monitor I would recommend at least a 5750. Please pay attention.
i got the point, but there are no founds for 5750 :)
anyway, this is strange, my "Auto adjust" function from the monitor is Off and non-adjustable.

karma831

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
If the auto adjust function isn't working try messing around with the settings like "wide" & "aspect" or something similar. Also try switching up your input connectors. I had this issue once with a LG monitor and switching it from HDMI, DVI, and VGA seemed to cause it to auto adjust somehow (I forgot which one fixed it).

marten

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
my monitor only has hdmi, which I connect to the video board by dvi (hdmi-dvi cable). I fought of this too, but I don't have a hdmi cable:)
Anyway, i remained to may old board, 8500gt, I gave up:)

Leisure_Larry

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
It is a problem I also encountered with a Sapphire Radeon HD 4550 after changing from a GT 7600.
Driving a Hanns G 24'' Monitor via HDMI. The graphics card will naturally underscan when you install it... so you have a black border all around, while screen resolution is given as 1920 x 1080.. Graphic card gives out right resolution, but then underscans it as it is thinking it is going towards a TV (really funky in the days of LCD TV's)

Solution:
Download latest drivers, Install CCC
Start CCC
Look under My Digital Flat Panels.. in newer CCC... Select Scanning Options (or so...)
Right Click on My Monitor in older CCC select customize or options

Select the Overscan, Underscan tab.. look at the slider. (it probably stands in the middle... counterintuitive where it says overscan is the regular resolution) . .it says Underscan to left and Overscan on the right... pull the slider all the way to the right.. underneath 0 (Zero) Your screen moves to full monitor size...
Voila....

marten

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Thanks a lot, but I sold that video card mean while and bought a 8800 gt :)
Good to know anyway and thanks for sharing!