A fanless real single slot graphic card for a Lian Li Q07

Alex314116

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hello Folks,

I am looking for a reliable fan-less-single-slot video card for the following system:

Lian Li Q07 Rev. B,
Zotac GF9300-ITX WiFi,
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8500 (3.16 GHz),
G.Skill Kit Extreme2 8 Go (2 x 4 Go) PC6400 MQ,
Intel X25-M PostVille 80 Go SSD (2’5) for the OS,
Hitachi Deskstar 7k2000 - 32Mo (3’5) for Data,
Seasonic X-Series Fanless - 400W,
LG Blue Ray BH10SL30,
Microsoft Windows 7 OEM 64bit,
Scythe Big Shuriken,
Keysonic KSK-5200 RFM,
Prolimatech PK-1 Thermal compound.

This system is mainly a HTPC connected to a LED TV in my living room and will be used to play occasionally games such StarCraft II or soon to be launched Civ. V (no First Person Shooting games please). The only cooling device on this compacted system is the fan on the Big Shuriken. By the way, I will not recommend anybody to mount the Big Shuriken on a Lian Li Q07! I was very painful for me.

I am using right now the limited onboard video card and would like to have a better one on the only available PCI-E slot on the motherboard.

Could somebody advise me on such video card please?

Many of those cannot be mounted in a PC-Q07. You'll need a single-slot card.
There ARE some single-slot HD5670 cards available, but they do have fans. Under light loads, those fans should not be very noisy.
In skimming through the reviews of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150466 I did not see any noise complaints, and some said it was very quiet.

Edit: honestly, I can understand about wanting low noise, but "fanless" doesn't mean "no airflow." Something needs to move air through your PSU. It's a good, efficient PSU according to the HardwareSecrets review, and I'd consider it for a quiet build that had another fan in the case to pull air through it, but I don't think a fanless PSU is a good idea in that case. I'd suggest a 380W Earthwatts (D version), which is darn near silent, despite the 80mm fan.

Alex314116

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I tried a single slot GTX 210 and 220 video cards that suppose to be quiet also, but I was very disapointed.
If I could, I will avoid any video card with a fan.
How about the HD5540?

I tried both Seasonix X-serie 650W and X-serie Fanless, and I do recommande the latest one.

There's a review in which one person says the cooler height won't let it fit in a PC-Q08; if that is true there's no way it will fit into a PC-Q07.

Alex314116

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Timop,
I think the HD5770 you suggested will drain to much power. Although the Seasonic Fanless power supply that I am using has a connector to power a PCI-E, the minimum required for the HD5770 is a 500 Watt power supply.

I am still searching for a fanless video card, but if I have no choice I am willing to try the HD5670 from XFX suggested initially by jtt286. The fanless HD5670 from sapphire recommended by geofelt might not fit in the Q07.

I purchased recently the Q08 to build another system, and comparing the width of both Q07 and Q08, the Q08 is larger but still….

For a perfect and noiseless HTPC!

Timop

Distinguished

The 400W fanless will power the 5770 with plenty of power to spare, the 5770 draws barely 80W.

Biff Manly

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010

I don't play SC2, but from what I have read, it is fairly demanding.

I have a fanless Gigabyte HD4850 in our second system and it is very powerful - possibly more powerful than a 5750 and they can be had for $120 or so (if you can find them).

The problem is, any fanless card good enough to run SC2 is going to make a lot of heat and need fairly good airflow in the system - so while you may get a fanless card, you still need to move air around.

If noise reduction is your goal, you will probably be better off just selecting a card and adding a custom cooling solution. You can make the most powerful cards virtually inaudible (on air) if you know what you are doing.

You have not mentioned any constraints or requirements:

What is your price range?
How big is your power supply?
What are your performance requirements?
What are you willing to give up?

Alex314116

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

Like I wrote previously, there is not much air flux inside the case. The only fan spinning inside is the one from the Big Shuriken. Adding a full size video card, its heat sink will not face the air flux from the Big Shuriken might raise some thermal issues…I am leaning more in adding a video card but no longer fan less.

To answer to your questions, I do not have limit on the budget for this video card (I just want the best video card to play SC2 decently); it is a regular full modular fan less power supply of 400W from Seasonic; The best performance to play SC2 in advanced mode; I want to give us nothing since I am looking for perfection.

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
A 400W Modular PSU will not be enough I'd Imagine, There just not up to scratch.

for cards up to a 5770 you should get(ABSOLUTE MINIMUM, no guarantees that it will definitely work.) THIS silverstone 400w, For any single card configuration(excepting nvidias oven-range(fermi, and excepting from that the 450 and 460 models)) you should get THIS 500w from OCZ, or THIS 550w from OCZ.

I recommend a 5770 or 460 for you for SC2 btw.

Timop

Distinguished

Um really? The Seasonic X-400 has 396W on the 12v rail and has more power than that Silverstone, and only 30 less than that OCZ.

You can power even a GTX470 fine, though it would be cutting it a little close.

Alex314116

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
After a lot of thinking, I am going to give a shot on the XFX HD 5670 suggested by jtt283. I was be able to find the same card but with 1Go instead of 512Mo. I should received and test it by next week. I will keep you guys posted if regarding space, noise, and SC2 performance. Since this card does not need extra power than the one from the PCI-e, the power supplier should no longer be an issue. However, the latest argument of Timop was correct since the Seasonic Fanless X-Serie 400W is a Gold Certified PS (98% rated). Thank you so much for all the information...like I said, I will keep you guys informed.

…Reach for perfection since time will always give you correction.

Alex314116

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

Not really since I was be able to get it at the same price than the one with only 512MB, which at first was weird.
If the information from you link is reliable, it provides me with the why on the because of “weird”.

Thank you for the link by the way.

chrisloureiro

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Hello Everyone,

I read through all your comments and coincidently I just bought the parts for a similar system.

Lian Li PC Q07
GA H55N USB3
Intel I7-860
HyperX 2 x 2gb
Antec ECO 430w PS
Vertex 2 90 GB SSD
Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB
WD Black Caviar 500 GB
Zotac GT 240 Amp Edition 512 DDR5

After roaming the computer markets in Shenzhen, Guangzhou and HK for about a month that was the best option of a vid card I was able to find, literally they do have many options of single slot card in this parts. I could've gone with a 5670, 5770 or something of the likings but I am not a big fan of ATI drivers, so I always go with NVidia.

I haven't assembled it yet, buy will do in the next few days.

My main concern for this is the case ventilation, a got a couple of chinese HSF to try, but I will probably have to get something like a scythe SCSK1100.

Cheers!

yeagert

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

Did you ever try the 5670? Did it fit with a 3.5" HDD?