What PCI (not express) card for old Shuttle system?

captaintivo

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
I have an old Pentium 4 3GHz Shuttle system with an Nvidia GeForce 6600 card that I want to upgrade to play more modern games, primarily flight simulators like X-plane and MS Flight Sim X, but also some FPS such as Call of Duty.

Finding a PCI graphics card these days seem to be tough and I thought I would ask you guys if you have any favorites that are still be sold?
Thanks.
Hunter

Parameters:
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: now

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: games, Flight Sims, some older FPS

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: not sure, I think 250W ?

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Shuttle Mobo with Intel Pentium 4 3 GHz, 1Gig RAM

PARTS PREFERENCES:I like Nvidia but am willing to be convinced on ATI if something good out there

OVERCLOCKING: NO

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 or 1280x720, this is a TV front projector.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I'll be frank, it will be a waste of money to buy a PCI video card to even attempt to play modern games, especially at 1920x1080. MAYBE 1024x768, and maybe for much older games. You're multiple generations behind (AGP, PCI-E). I'd advise saving and building a cheap gaming rig for a couple hundred.

captaintivo

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
You are right, of course, it is an AGP slot. D'oh!
Anyway, I have loaded flight SIM X and Steam onto the thing and by God, I can plane Counterstrike at 720p (this is a TV output, remember)! It doesn't look too bad but I would like more.

As for getting a new computer, I have a fine gaming rig in my office Core2 6600 at 3 GHz with Nvidia 8800GT. I just want to use little shuttle in the home theater room on the big projection screen. The Shuttle would not play Blu-Rays (no video accel) so I bought an ACER Aspire Revo 3610, and the damn thing is useless for games. I don't need a new computer, I just want to speed up the graphics on the Shuttle.