Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Asus 5850 DirectCU, is it the same as the DirectCU TOP?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 16, 2010 10:12:19 PM

So I bought a new comp recently and I got the Asus 5850 DirectCU. This is not the DirectCU TOP, which is the factory overclocked version. I meant the get the OC'd one but I guess I clicked the wrong one on newegg. They look identical, and there is like a 10 dollar price difference. What I want to know is if the DirectCU non-TOP version is the exact same card hardware-wise. I.e. could I just OC it to the same levels as the TOP edition without worrying? I have heard that the 5850 is terribad at overclocking, but perhaps that is just reference versions and I believe that this card is non-reference. So I don't want to risk damaging it. But I will feel way better if I know that this is the same card as a card that comes factory-OC, essentially just without paying a 10 dollar factory overclocking fee. Anybody know? Help is greatly appreciated.

Also, if it can OC, anyone know how far it can be pushed?

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2010 10:19:07 PM

Its the same just sans OC.
For the 5830, 1Ghz with upped voltages is probably the limit.
Share
September 16, 2010 10:21:44 PM

Timop said:
Its the same just sans OC.
For the 5830, 1Ghz with upped voltages is probably the limit.


Woah 1ghz core clock speed??? Or memory because I think stock core is 625mhz and I have read reviews by people who had it not function with less than 100mhz increase.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2010 10:26:52 PM

DptBear said:
Woah 1ghz core clock speed??? Or memory because I think stock core is 625mhz and I have read reviews by people who had it not function with less than 100mhz increase.

The stock core is 725Mhz.

1Ghz applies for the core clock, though you're actual results will most likely be around 900Mhz as individual chips have different capabilities and cooling is different for every case.

The 5850 is a nice OCer and the DirectCU has software voltage control which pushes the limits much further. Ironically, the Memory clock should not OC nearly as high, 1300Mhz is around the max.
m
0
l
September 16, 2010 10:33:36 PM

Timop said:
The stock core is 725Mhz.

1Ghz applies for the core clock, though you're actual results will most likely be around 900Mhz as individual chips have different capabilities and cooling is different for every case.

The 5850 is a nice OCer and the DirectCU has software voltage control which pushes the limits much further. Ironically, the Memory clock should not OC nearly as high, 1300Mhz is around the max.


Sorry I meant 725, typo haha. It did come with Asus overclocking software. Do you know if this will void my warranty? I mean, they gave me the software...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2010 11:08:17 PM

DptBear said:
Sorry I meant 725, typo haha. It did come with Asus overclocking software. Do you know if this will void my warranty? I mean, they gave me the software...

Software OC will not IIRC, though I do recommend you using Afterburner instead.
Unless you flash the BIOS or do hardware based modding, I doubt they can tell anyways.
m
0
l
September 16, 2010 11:16:35 PM

Timop said:
Software OC will not IIRC, though I do recommend you using Afterburner instead.
Unless you flash the BIOS or do hardware based modding, I doubt they can tell anyways.


So I know this might start to be better placed in the OC section, but will MSI Afterburner work on my Asus card? I need it to change the clocks as well as control the fan properly don't I? I don't think I want to risk overvoltaging it yet but I can eventually I suppose. I do however want to keep it cool (although its practically frosty stock).
m
0
l
September 16, 2010 11:17:46 PM

Also what about AMD Overdrive?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2010 11:28:49 PM

Aftrerburner/Precision is basically Rivatuner with different GUIs and some improvements, and should be able to support all GPUs, it supports my EVGA 8600GT nicely. It is a better, easier and more stable way to OC than ASUS's software.

However, for voltage you'll still need to use ASUS smartdoctor I believe.

Overdrive is decent, but it really isn't much better than the built-in OC feature in ccc.

m
0
l
September 17, 2010 3:44:09 PM

Thanks! Installed furmark and Msi afterburner and after a little fiddling I seem to have no problems at 775/1150. Ill try finding its max stable point later. Appreciate the help.
m
0
l
September 24, 2010 8:12:06 AM

Best answer selected by DptBear.
m
0
l
!