Asus 5850 DirectCU, is it the same as the DirectCU TOP?

DptBear

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
So I bought a new comp recently and I got the Asus 5850 DirectCU. This is not the DirectCU TOP, which is the factory overclocked version. I meant the get the OC'd one but I guess I clicked the wrong one on newegg. They look identical, and there is like a 10 dollar price difference. What I want to know is if the DirectCU non-TOP version is the exact same card hardware-wise. I.e. could I just OC it to the same levels as the TOP edition without worrying? I have heard that the 5850 is terribad at overclocking, but perhaps that is just reference versions and I believe that this card is non-reference. So I don't want to risk damaging it. But I will feel way better if I know that this is the same card as a card that comes factory-OC, essentially just without paying a 10 dollar factory overclocking fee. Anybody know? Help is greatly appreciated.

Also, if it can OC, anyone know how far it can be pushed?

DptBear

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

Woah 1ghz core clock speed??? Or memory because I think stock core is 625mhz and I have read reviews by people who had it not function with less than 100mhz increase.

Timop

Distinguished

The stock core is 725Mhz.

1Ghz applies for the core clock, though you're actual results will most likely be around 900Mhz as individual chips have different capabilities and cooling is different for every case.

The 5850 is a nice OCer and the DirectCU has software voltage control which pushes the limits much further. Ironically, the Memory clock should not OC nearly as high, 1300Mhz is around the max.

DptBear

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

Sorry I meant 725, typo haha. It did come with Asus overclocking software. Do you know if this will void my warranty? I mean, they gave me the software...

Timop

Distinguished

Software OC will not IIRC, though I do recommend you using Afterburner instead.
Unless you flash the BIOS or do hardware based modding, I doubt they can tell anyways.

DptBear

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

So I know this might start to be better placed in the OC section, but will MSI Afterburner work on my Asus card? I need it to change the clocks as well as control the fan properly don't I? I don't think I want to risk overvoltaging it yet but I can eventually I suppose. I do however want to keep it cool (although its practically frosty stock).

Timop

Distinguished
Aftrerburner/Precision is basically Rivatuner with different GUIs and some improvements, and should be able to support all GPUs, it supports my EVGA 8600GT nicely. It is a better, easier and more stable way to OC than ASUS's software.

However, for voltage you'll still need to use ASUS smartdoctor I believe.

Overdrive is decent, but it really isn't much better than the built-in OC feature in ccc.

DptBear

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Thanks! Installed furmark and Msi afterburner and after a little fiddling I seem to have no problems at 775/1150. Ill try finding its max stable point later. Appreciate the help.