Peettreedish

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I need help. I would like to know if any one has seen or actually reviewed Desktop And Towers side by side.
I mean Has any one taken a Quality High end desktop enclosure and put it to the test to see if can compete In the gaming/workstation arena.
I personally think that if all things were taken into consideration for the design that a desktop could not only compete but bury a tower in the dirt .

I just switched from a workstation tower to a low profile desktop and there are pros and cons
In the tower I had room for mounting 3 hds,two optical drives plus 4 pci slots plus video card.
But I kept the tower on my L-shaped workstation desk and it ate up alot of
room so now i have the slim desktop which gives me a greater work area.
It is actually a stronger machine than the tower with better cpu and video card
etc.
BUT I do miss being able to set two secondary drives in RAID-0 :) for a scratch disk for Photoshop LOL

Peettreedish

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Please do not take this the wrong way, but I have also posted this question on another forum . My question is not really about the platform itself, but about the heat sinks themselves being put in the proper upright position which is upright. Heat rises. So therefore if you wanted a system that puts it in the upright position then you would be looking at a traditional desktop not a tower. So why ,other than aesthetics and space, have towers become the norm when desktops provide the correct position for the heat sink to work efficiently.

If you're using a stock Intel HSF, the fan blows down onto the chip, the idea of heat rising doesn't work very well in this case.
If you're using an upright HDT type cooler, the air escapes thru the sides, having it stand upright again blows the heat rises idea.
A PC case is basically a forced air system, the fans force the air ( and heat ) in the direction you determine by fan placement.

Peettreedish

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
1. If your stock Intel heat sink fan is blowing down then something is wrong with that setup that you have. Every computer I have ever owned that had any kind stock setup had a fan that blew upwards.
2. The second example you gave is the same as the first, If the fan is upside down were it blows down the air goes to the sides unless you have a big hole in the middle of your cpu that goes all the way through to the outside of the case.

You're going to need to get yourself a couple of heatsinks, 1 stock , 1 HDT , and try to figure it out because you're wrong and I don't have the time to post pics.

Peettreedish

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

Get them I already have them. And every one of the blows up. I haven't done nothing to them Its the way they came INtel/amd Both the same.

1. I need to apologize, had some stuff going on and took it out here, sorry for that.
2. If you already have the coolers and don't understand airflow I can't be of help.
3. Simply looking at a case/cooler fan is enough to let most experienced user's know the direction of airflow, here's a hint, it has to do with the curvature of the blades.

Peettreedish

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

No worries man I have been having the this argument on Hardware Analysis forum for days, Here's the thing I am mostly interested in the orientation of the heat sinks relative to the type of systems people use. Towers And Desktops. Not the enclosures themselves.

In a nut shell , heat rises this is a fact, so with that being said why are towers the norm when a desktops orientation would provide the proper position for heat sinks to work properly.

Before you answer I have found a suitable answer in a different thread. What I would have like to have found is actual test results posted, but wording the question right had been difficult. It was mere curiosity.

I just thought that if some one showed interest, a desktop enclosure could be designed with high efficiency in mind, the performance would be a lot better than just about any tower.