Sign in with
Your question

Memory 204-Pin DDR3 for gaming laptop

Last response: in Motherboards
October 4, 2011 2:29:18 PM

Hello,I have an ASUS G53JW-XA1 Republic of Gamers 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop with 6gb of memory, so I want to upgrade to 8gb or 12gb, what do you recommend and what kind (or type) of memory?
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2011 4:07:27 PM

First off, why do you want to upgrade to 8 or even 12GB?

I wouldn't even reccomend an upgrade if you have 6GB already.
m
l
October 4, 2011 4:30:47 PM

Because I used win 7 x64, and for this OS, it´s better 8GB or more.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2011 4:48:48 PM

technically - no.. it actually slows your computer down if you dont use it. Yes, x64 OS can handle up to 16GB of memory, but it you dont use it, it's just wasted space.

Note, that you probably wont see the slow down in performance with 8GB, but it does slightly, and its a waste of $$ if you dont use it.
m
l
October 4, 2011 7:19:04 PM

ok, so you don´t think is a good idea change 6gb to 8gb ?

thanks.

m
l
October 4, 2011 7:26:52 PM

rozz said:
technically - no.. it actually slows your computer down if you dont use it. Yes, x64 OS can handle up to 16GB of memory, but it you dont use it, it's just wasted space.

Note, that you probably wont see the slow down in performance with 8GB, but it does slightly, and its a waste of $$ if you dont use it.

You my friend have no clue what you are talking about. The more ram you have in your computer the more resources Windows 7 and 8 can allocate into ram for fast loading. Thats why it shows 20-30% used when you have 12 gigs of ram. More ram = better performance all arround, granted you probably wont notice any tangible benifits but future proofing for Windows 8 is always nice. Plus if you have more than 8 gigs of ram you can disable the page file to increase performance somewhat.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2011 8:17:57 PM

What i am saying is, any Windows OS system on the market will hardly ever use over 4GB of RAM without a pagefile. There are exceptions - Like running multiple VMwares or Visual Studios or High-end video editing. Even extreme gaming will never use that much RAM.

The large amounts of extra RAM causes significant overhang and by me saying it "technically" slows down the computer, you have to understand how memory works. Let me explain this simply:

If lets say, you have 4000 blocks of memory.. and your CPU wants to pull memory block 500.. that block of memory has to travel all the way threw the rest of the memory before it can be brought back to the CPU. (IE, it needs to travel over the overhanged 3500 blocks, even if those extra block are empty). If you add more memory, say 8000 or 12000 blocks, it will take MORE time, essentially, doubling the time it takes to travel threw it. Understand?

This is compensated slightly by having multiple channels (dual channel and triple channel motherboards) allowing smaller groups of memory to run faster. it is faster to have 12GB of RAM on triple channel Mobos (only 4 GB per channel) than it is on dual channel (6 GB per channel)

So again, you are correct, by having more RAM you can store more resources for faster loading than putting it on the page file (located on HDD), but, if you have an over kill of RAM that you never use, you are essentially slowing it down and it is not needed, thus a waste of money..
m
l
!