BIOS problem

vrsiler

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
I am trying to fix a SONY VAIO desktop, model PCV-RS420, 120GB HDD, 512MB RAM, American Megatrends BIOS V2.51, 2001 08/08/03 windows xp home edition. When the computer boots up, I get an error message "NTLDR is missing, press control-alt-delete to restart". When I do this I get the same error message. I tried to boot up using a restore CD but found that the CD drive is not running. Using the F2 key I opened the BIOS and found that all the drives (HDD, DVD-RW, CD-RW and floppy drive) are disabled. They are enclosed In brackets. I can't figure out how to enable the drives so I can use the Microsoft fix for the NTLDR missing error. Please help. Can't afford a new computer.

rozz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
It's kind of hard to work with the bios from memory. to be honest, if it is a stock PC still, there should be a section in the BIOS menu to "restore to factory default". Try finding that. If not, i will have to do some digging around to get you the command to enable them.

vrsiler

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Hello Rozz and anonymous1.
I have tried using the Page up and page down keys, no results. I found a screen in the Exit menu that says "Load Setup Defaults" and then selected OK in the menu and hit enter again. No results. Something is really messed up in the BIOS, and I haven't been able to find any good info on the BIOS manufacture's website. Any other ideas?? I will try anything short of hitting the thing with a hammer or using it for a boat anchor. Maybe later. :)

vrsiler

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
It turns out that the drives were not disbled, even though the bios screen showed them to be. I used a restore disk and, by pressing the R key and tapping the F10 key while the computer reestarted,it finally booted up.
Thanks for the help in this crazy problem.
Virgil Siler