Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO w/o keyboard

Last response: in Motherboards
October 4, 2011 3:55:31 PM

Hello,

I plan to build a server based on the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO with just LAN and power attached. No keyboard, no screen etc.

Can anybody confirm that it is possible to boot the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO without a keyboard attached?
What do I need to set in the bios to disable the default keyboard check?

Thanks a lot!
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2011 4:07:33 PM

only with scripts that i know of. once you get past the initial setups and get into the OS, you should be good with some sort of RD software. You may need help with network drivers first though.

You could setup a PXE server with boot scripts and program the server to boot to LAN.. but you will prolly need a keyboard to start the install sequence still.. that all i can think up.
October 4, 2011 4:14:54 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

But maybe I was not clear enough: I will build and install the server "normally" with keyboard and screen attached. However, once I am done, the server is supposed to run headless with no keyboard attached.

I know that in the past several motherboards / BIOS would only start the boot sequence with a keyboard attached. Otherwise, you would get "No keyboard found" at boot time / during POST checks.

Does anybody have the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO and could quickly unplug the keyboard and check how it reacts during a reboot?

Thanks a lot.
October 8, 2011 8:00:31 AM

Hey.

I thought that the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO was rather popular... Does anybody have the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO and could quickly unplug the keyboard and check how it reacts during a reboot?

Thanks a lot!
!