Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

processor question

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
January 22, 2005 7:49:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In relation to processors specifically, which would be the most
suitable/powerful for use in a notebook/laptop which will be primarily used
for video editing. I have no interest in battery life, just performance, I'd
rather spend more money than make compromises on performance and for bonus
points is anybody able to explain where each family of processors would sit
in relation to each other, ie, I understand celeron to be a cut down version
of the real thing, but what is Pentium M and mobile pentium 4 etc.

More about : processor question

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 22, 2005 7:49:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 04:49:07 +1100, "Blondie"
<bitemespammers@backatya.com.au> wrote:

>In relation to processors specifically, which would be the most
>suitable/powerful for use in a notebook/laptop which will be primarily used
>for video editing. I have no interest in battery life, just performance, I'd
>rather spend more money than make compromises on performance and for bonus
>points is anybody able to explain where each family of processors would sit
>in relation to each other, ie, I understand celeron to be a cut down version
>of the real thing, but what is Pentium M and mobile pentium 4 etc.


OK, you are looking for a desktop replacement then. Large screen,
thick, heavy.

Investigate whether your video editing software can take full
advantage of the 64-bit A64. Intel doesn't have a 64 bits yet, so A64
is the chip to get for max power, *if* your software will take
advantage of it.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 22, 2005 7:49:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Blondie wrote:
> In relation to processors specifically, which would be the most
> suitable/powerful for use in a notebook/laptop which will be primarily used
> for video editing. I have no interest in battery life, just performance, I'd
> rather spend more money than make compromises on performance and for bonus
> points is anybody able to explain where each family of processors would sit
> in relation to each other, ie, I understand celeron to be a cut down version
> of the real thing, but what is Pentium M and mobile pentium 4 etc.

Looks like what you're looking for is the category of laptops known as
desktop replacements (DTR). For these, you would want either a top-end
Intel Pentium 4 processor or a top-end to middle-road AMD Athlon 64
processor.

Celerons are good for puttering around with laptops, if you have not a
lot of requirements for your laptop, and you own a good quality desktop
computer too. It's often nice to have a portable around to lug from your
place a friend's place, etc. You might be able to use it to display some
videos or pictures or stuff. And an occasional light-duty game. An
alternative to this would be an AMD Sempron processor.

Pentium M is the real road-warrior processor -- it's a very low-power
consumption processor. It's mostly used in ultra-light laptops (4lbs or
less), but if they use them in larger laptops, you can expect these
things to last 4 hours or more. There's no real AMD alternative to this
class of processor yet, but AMD has announced that they will create a
processor called Turion which will compete against Pentium M/Centrino.

Yousuf Khan
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 23, 2005 2:46:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

very predictable Youssef

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message
news:VQhId.61982$W33.1864371@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Blondie wrote:
> > In relation to processors specifically, which would be the most
> > suitable/powerful for use in a notebook/laptop which will be primarily
used
> > for video editing. I have no interest in battery life, just performance,
I'd
> > rather spend more money than make compromises on performance and for
bonus
> > points is anybody able to explain where each family of processors would
sit
> > in relation to each other, ie, I understand celeron to be a cut down
version
> > of the real thing, but what is Pentium M and mobile pentium 4 etc.
>
> Looks like what you're looking for is the category of laptops known as
> desktop replacements (DTR). For these, you would want either a top-end
> Intel Pentium 4 processor or a top-end to middle-road AMD Athlon 64
> processor.
>
> Celerons are good for puttering around with laptops, if you have not a
> lot of requirements for your laptop, and you own a good quality desktop
> computer too. It's often nice to have a portable around to lug from your
> place a friend's place, etc. You might be able to use it to display some
> videos or pictures or stuff. And an occasional light-duty game. An
> alternative to this would be an AMD Sempron processor.
>
> Pentium M is the real road-warrior processor -- it's a very low-power
> consumption processor. It's mostly used in ultra-light laptops (4lbs or
> less), but if they use them in larger laptops, you can expect these
> things to last 4 hours or more. There's no real AMD alternative to this
> class of processor yet, but AMD has announced that they will create a
> processor called Turion which will compete against Pentium M/Centrino.
>
> Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 23, 2005 6:19:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Judd wrote:
> very predictable Youssef

Very predictable question too.

Yousuf Khan
January 23, 2005 3:53:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message news:VQhId.61982$W33.1864371@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Blondie wrote:
>> In relation to processors specifically, which would be the most suitable/powerful for use in a notebook/laptop which will
>> be primarily used for video editing. I have no interest in battery life, just performance, I'd rather spend more money
>> than make compromises on performance and for bonus points is anybody able to explain where each family of processors would
>> sit in relation to each other, ie, I understand celeron to be a cut down version of the real thing, but what is Pentium M
>> and mobile pentium 4 etc.
>
> Looks like what you're looking for is the category of laptops known as desktop replacements (DTR). For these, you would
> want either a top-end Intel Pentium 4 processor or a top-end to middle-road AMD Athlon 64 processor.
>
> Celerons are good for puttering around with laptops, if you have not a lot of requirements for your laptop, and you own a
> good quality desktop computer too. It's often nice to have a portable around to lug from your place a friend's place, etc.
> You might be able to use it to display some videos or pictures or stuff. And an occasional light-duty game. An alternative
> to this would be an AMD Sempron processor.
>
> Pentium M is the real road-warrior processor -- it's a very low-power consumption processor. It's mostly used in
> ultra-light laptops (4lbs or less), but if they use them in larger laptops, you can expect these things to last 4 hours or
> more. There's no real AMD alternative to this class of processor yet, but AMD has announced that they will create a
> processor called Turion which will compete against Pentium M/Centrino.

Why anyone would post about AMD in an Intel newsgroup escapes me (no
it doesn't!). It's just annoying! The biggest reason NOT to buy AMD is
quickly becoming the religious followers of it! Read: every post about
CPUs does NOT have to have "AMD" in it. It's off topic in csi (IMO).
The newsgroup names should be a way of filtering and narrowing
down toward the category one wishes to find information on. Posting
about AMD in csi only lowers the signal-to-noise ratio: AMD-related
info is "noise" in csi (IMO). I believe people come here because they've
chosen Intel or have an Intel product and desire information on.. Intel!
Save the CPU debates, religious wars and marketeering/spamming for
some other group. 'comp.sys.intel' is not equivalent to 'comp.sys.cpus'
(shouldn't be, IMO. Else what's the point of categorizing at all?).

AJ
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 23, 2005 7:24:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

AJ wrote:
>
> Why anyone would post about AMD in an Intel newsgroup escapes me (no
> it doesn't!).

To give as complete an answer as possible to an open-ended question about
laptop processors in general?

I fail to see any proselytizing on Youssef's part WRT AMD over Intel
processors, he simply gave a complete answer.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 23, 2005 8:18:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

AJ wrote:
> Why anyone would post about AMD in an Intel newsgroup escapes me (no
> it doesn't!). It's just annoying! The biggest reason NOT to buy AMD is
> quickly becoming the religious followers of it! Read: every post about
> CPUs does NOT have to have "AMD" in it. It's off topic in csi (IMO).

Get over it AJ, I've been around a lot longer in this newsgroup than
you, and it is in no way off-topic to suggest AMD. The biggest annoyance
is really Intel supporters getting their panties in a knot when somebody
mentions AMD. It's the same damn processor family and therefore quite
ontopic.

Now, please do feel free to filter whatever you think, but we've proven
you to be an irrational bigot over several months now, so please go away
and cry somewhere else!

Putz! It takes a lot to annoy me, but you have entered a special realm
of disdain for me. Even Judd seems to understand you can't rule out AMD
for these topics.

Yousuf Khan
January 25, 2005 4:52:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"JHEM" <James@ESAD.SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in message news:FcQId.10204$Dz2.5077@trndny09...
> AJ wrote:
>>
>> Why anyone would post about AMD in an Intel newsgroup escapes me (no
>> it doesn't!).
>
> To give as complete an answer as possible to an open-ended question about laptop processors in general?
>
> I fail to see any proselytizing on Youssef's part WRT AMD over Intel processors, he simply gave a complete answer.

No one accused him of favoring one over the other in the post (though just
mention of non-Intel in csi could be seen as suspicious opportunistic motive).

The OP was "clearly" seeking on Intel processor lines. And if not, then the
OP's question was "off topic".

The "appropriate" reply would have been to state the Intel info or redirect to
another NG to address the brand-to-brand comparison if the OP indeed
wanted to open the Intel/AMD can of worms.

Non-Intel info in csi degrades the quality of csi by lowering the S/N. One should
assume that posters are smart enough to choose an appropriate NG to ask
questions in based upon the NG name.

IMO.

AJ
January 25, 2005 4:52:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message news:-MOdnSjxEotBv2ncRVn-qA@rogers.com...
> AJ wrote:
>> Why anyone would post about AMD in an Intel newsgroup escapes me (no
>> it doesn't!). It's just annoying! The biggest reason NOT to buy AMD is
>> quickly becoming the religious followers of it! Read: every post about
>> CPUs does NOT have to have "AMD" in it. It's off topic in csi (IMO).
>
> Get over it AJ, I've been around a lot longer in this newsgroup than you,

As if commandiering a NG (force) should be the policy. :p 

> and it is in no way off-topic to suggest AMD.

I disagree.

> The biggest annoyance is really Intel supporters getting their panties in a knot when somebody mentions AMD. It's the same
> damn processor family and therefore quite ontopic.

In your opinion.

>
> Now, please do feel free to filter whatever you think, but we've proven you to be an irrational bigot over several months
> now, so please go away and cry somewhere else!

Oh, you're one of the personal attackers. I see. Good bye loser!

(Learn to read: comp.sys.intel).

Why anyone wouldn't put you on ignore after all of your group's personal
attacking to non-intimidating posts would be a curiosity. You've shown
your true colors and they aren't pretty. Live with yourself.

AJ
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 26, 2005 2:17:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

AJ wrote:
>>Now, please do feel free to filter whatever you think, but we've proven you to be an irrational bigot over several months
>>now, so please go away and cry somewhere else!
>
>
> Oh, you're one of the personal attackers. I see. Good bye loser!
>
> (Learn to read: comp.sys.intel).
>
> Why anyone wouldn't put you on ignore after all of your group's personal
> attacking to non-intimidating posts would be a curiosity. You've shown
> your true colors and they aren't pretty. Live with yourself.

Because the fact of the matter is that I don't do personal attacks
unless somebody is truly deserving of a public beating. As I said, it
takes a lot to get me this angry, but when I do get this angry, you can
be sure that the person receiving my ire is truly deserving of it. We've
told you over and over again, not to push this Intel-only agenda of
yours, as that was never the original purpose of this newsgroup, but you
keep coming back to it. Those of us who have been in this newsgroup for
decades find relative newcomers like you telling us how to behave in our
own newsgroup to be a level of arrogance beyond words, and bordering on
anti-social. It's equivalent to a guest writing down the rules for your
behaviour in your own house.

Yousuf Khan
January 26, 2005 6:03:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message news:6REJd.3171$Yg6.814486@news20.bellglobal.com...
> AJ wrote:
>>>Now, please do feel free to filter whatever you think, but we've proven you to be an irrational bigot over several months
>>>now, so please go away and cry somewhere else!
>>
>>
>> Oh, you're one of the personal attackers. I see. Good bye loser!
>>
>> (Learn to read: comp.sys.intel).
>>
>> Why anyone wouldn't put you on ignore after all of your group's personal
>> attacking to non-intimidating posts would be a curiosity. You've shown
>> your true colors and they aren't pretty. Live with yourself.
>
> Because the fact of the matter is that I don't do personal attacks unless somebody is truly deserving of a public beating.

Meaning: anyone who disagrees with you obviously.

> As I said, it takes a lot to get me this angry, but when I do get this angry, you can be sure that the person receiving my
> ire is truly deserving of it. We've told you over and over again, not to push this Intel-only agenda of yours, as that was
> never the original purpose of this newsgroup, but you keep coming back to it.

comp.sys.intel: Discussions about Intel systems and parts.

That's the description of this group found all over.

> Those of us who have been in this newsgroup for decades find relative newcomers like you telling us how to behave in our
> own newsgroup to be a level of arrogance beyond words, and bordering on anti-social. It's equivalent to a guest writing
> down the rules for your behaviour in your own house.

It's not your newsgroup. And the way to make it better is to keep the discussions
on topic. csiphc is the place for the ongoing cross brand comparisons, not here.
Just because the river has been polluted for a long time does not mean it can't
be cleaned up.

AJ
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 3, 2005 6:30:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

AJ wrote:
> "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message news:6REJd.3171$Yg6.814486@news20.bellglobal.com...
>
>>AJ wrote:
>>
>>>>Now, please do feel free to filter whatever you think, but we've proven you to be an irrational bigot over several months
>>>>now, so please go away and cry somewhere else!
>>>
>>>
>>>Oh, you're one of the personal attackers. I see. Good bye loser!
>>>
>>>(Learn to read: comp.sys.intel).
>>>
>>>Why anyone wouldn't put you on ignore after all of your group's personal
>>>attacking to non-intimidating posts would be a curiosity. You've shown
>>>your true colors and they aren't pretty. Live with yourself.
>>
>>Because the fact of the matter is that I don't do personal attacks unless somebody is truly deserving of a public beating.
>
>
> Meaning: anyone who disagrees with you obviously.
>
>
>>As I said, it takes a lot to get me this angry, but when I do get this angry, you can be sure that the person receiving my
>>ire is truly deserving of it. We've told you over and over again, not to push this Intel-only agenda of yours, as that was
>>never the original purpose of this newsgroup, but you keep coming back to it.
>
>
> comp.sys.intel: Discussions about Intel systems and parts.
>
> That's the description of this group found all over.
>
>
>>Those of us who have been in this newsgroup for decades find relative newcomers like you telling us how to behave in our
>>own newsgroup to be a level of arrogance beyond words, and bordering on anti-social. It's equivalent to a guest writing
>>down the rules for your behaviour in your own house.
>
>
> It's not your newsgroup. And the way to make it better is to keep the discussions
> on topic. csiphc is the place for the ongoing cross brand comparisons, not here.
> Just because the river has been polluted for a long time does not mean it can't
> be cleaned up.

I agree, help clean it up and leave.
!