Can i install windows 7 on one computer then transfer the harddrive to another c

Ragenerdgamer

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Hello,
i have just rebuilt my computer with some new hardware and my asus motherboard is not compatible with my disk drive so i cannot install my windows 7 onto my new hard drive. I was wondering if i could take my new hard drive put it into a friends computer and install windows 7 onto the hard drive then take it out and put it back into my computer hook it up and then boot my computer and then have windows 7... im sure this wont be flawless but please let me know if it works and any side effects it may have thanks!!!

Solution
Short answer... No, buy a new disc drive. They are inexpensive.

Long answer... if it is an OEM Windows version as soon as it is installed on that PC the license is tied to that PC, not to mention all the hastles of the other's motherboard drivers becoming part of the Windows in stallation

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Short answer... No, buy a new disc drive. They are inexpensive.

Long answer... if it is an OEM Windows version as soon as it is installed on that PC the license is tied to that PC, not to mention all the hastles of the other's motherboard drivers becoming part of the Windows in stallation

Solution

Ragenerdgamer

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
i already have a disc drive on the way, just am an impatient person with a laptop that cant run games well and i wanted to know if there was a faster way to do it thanks!!! also i have asus motherboard (ASUS P8Z77-V LX Intel 7 Series Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel Z77 Express, 2400MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA III (6Gb/s), RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0, CrossFireX Ready) , and isnt compatible with the LG disc drive i had(which is old and i dont know what is is called specifically), or at least i couldnt find any slots on the motherboard that would fit the plugs i had on the disc drive