Kind of irritated now because of the recall

Kaori Cpu

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
I was just going to purchase an entire new build off of newegg that consisted of the New SB CPUs and everything associated with them for my build. I am NOT waiting until april to get a new build done. Now what route should I go for a gaming build... I have no idea what cpu I want now due to performance. I was going to purchase Phenom II 965 along time ago, but the SB cpus destroyed them in benchmarks. Can anyone recommend what I should do? Thank guys

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Personally, I would wait for the fix. But since you do not want to wait, your only options besides a Phenom II 965 are either a AMD 1090T AM3 socket CPU, or a 1156 or 1366 socket type CPU from Intel.

Kaori Cpu

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
I was thinking about buying a mediocre cpu and mobo right now and buy all of my original stuff along with it. I will just upgrade when that comes back out or if im satisfied, I will wait for the 2011 socket to come out later this year

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Some people have to be more budget concious than that... my parents are running a 4 year old system, and 5 years from now when I replace my i7-930 system, I'll probably set it aside and use it for a HTPC. That would be a nice system you could hand over to a buddy or family member... just saying.

I would buy a 1155 sandy system now, while you still can.

Some motherboards will have added marvell sata ports if you need then, otherwise the 2 6gb sata ports are unaffected.
The typical warranty is 3 years, and you will need to be prepared to swap out your motherboard when the replacements are available.

In time, I think there will be a run on the affected motherboards which will cause an increase in price due to shortages.

dimpled

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Ya, frankly I'm glad I happened to have mine filled just before the bug was found. I'm only using 3/4 of my sata3s and likely to replace the system by the time I ever needed a consistent 5th and risked the bug.