Sign in with
Your question

Moving OS to new drive

Last response: in Storage
February 18, 2013 4:13:51 AM

My OS is currently on an internal hdd. I am building a new system and want to have the OS on a new ssd.

What is the easiest/best way to do this?

Thanks.

More about : moving drive

February 18, 2013 4:20:20 AM

Read this and this.
This is basically all of the information you'll really need to know on this particular subject.
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
February 18, 2013 4:21:19 AM

Install a new OS on the SSD.
Your getting a new system, will require a new OS install anyway as the previous wont work with the new motherboard.
m
l
Related resources
February 18, 2013 5:07:13 AM

the OS came with that last system I bought already on the hard drive...am I going to need a disk to install or can I just do it from the hdd? also how do I then move it to the sdd? can I do that during the install?
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
February 18, 2013 5:11:13 AM

In that case you will need to purchase a new copy of Windows, the product key that comes with the system will be OEM, only good to use on that motherboard.

An installation disc isnt entirely necessary, it is possible to install Windows off a USB drive or the like, but you wont be able to do it off the other HDD no.
When installing the OS, have all other HDD/SSD's disconnected, Windows has a bad habit of putting files on other drives during installation, and kicks up a fuss if they go missing.
m
l
February 18, 2013 5:12:38 AM

There is software out there where you can clone your Hard drive. Norton Ghost is one, but I haven't heard great things about it. You can look for others.
m
l
February 18, 2013 5:27:00 AM

manofchalk said:
An installation disc isn't entirely necessary, it is possible to install Windows off a USB drive or the like, but you won't be able to do it off the other HDD.

You basically say same things I've already said and pointed out to him (links in the first post).

Elda: that won't work.
m
l
!