What's the best memory for Gigabyte P31-DS3L motherboard ??

josh_ww

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
hello everybody,

I have a Gigabyte P31-DS3L motherboard with 2 modules of 1GB Kingston HyperX KHX6400D2K2/2G 800Mhz. The specifications for the MB in memory are as follow:

4 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 4 GB of system memory
Dual channel memory architecture
Support for DDR2 800/667 MHz memory modules

I've been considering KHX6400D2LLK2, KHX6400F2LLK2.

I don't use my computer to play games but I have some programs to edit and transform movies and videos and I want to install the best Kingston HyperX memory modules that the board can support so that it can operate faster and better (I might consider other memory brand you suggest). The motherboard is not overclocked either.

Do you suggest me to keep my current Kingston HyperX or should I get other brand??

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I would go to the board's website http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2615#ov
and click on "Memory Support List". Download the QVL and check for high speed RAM that has been tested and proven to work with all 4 slots populated. Sometimes populating all 4 slots with the fastest memory that's not on the QVL will cause timing issues and you end up with the dreaded BSOD. If you only populate 2 slots you probably won't have any issues.

suteck

Distinguished
I would go with the 2 X 2GB option. It might be a little slower on the speed side and that you won't notice unless you're benchmarking. But you will notice a nice improvement by having 4 GB instead of 2 GB. So I would go with the 2GB MICRON MT16HTF25664AY-800E1 DS MICRON 7HEII D9HNP You can GET THEM HERE for $26 a piece. And as mentioned earlier it is from the QVL.