Brand New Desktop Making Noise

w0osh

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Brand New Desktop Making Noise
I have built a new gaming desktop.

But while playing games, the CPU Fan (Above the heatsink) starts to go wild with the RPM and makes a lot of noise, which is quite bothering.

I have tried to apply heatsink paste in between the sink and the processor but still the issue remains.

Will changing the Heatsink unit with this one help ? - http://www.coolermaster.in/product.p...tegory_id=3573

Or is it a mother board problem ? (I read this somewhere)

MSI 880GM + R6770 + AMD 560 Phenom2

rozz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
what type of noise.. are you talking about just a noise from a fan spinning super fast or like a rubbing sound like the fan is going out?

also, is the heatsink free and clear of debri such as dirt or dust?

be sure not to load the heatsink with thermal paste.. to much can actually cause the CPU to heat up more. you want a very small layer (usually a couple dots of thermal paste spread out does the trick).

btw, you link doesnt quite work. but most third party heatsinks do a good job cooling CPUs

w0osh

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
got the new Fan, the sound has decreased substantially.

Question : i have an AMD Phenom 2 560 Black Edition (3.3Ghz) is it good enough for gaming (Crysis 2, Battlefield 3..) or the load is too much for it ?

w0osh

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
i have an option of exchanging it for the AMD Phenom x4 955 BE - Should i go for it ?

Or unlocking the 560 BE is better ?

P.S. : the exchange is at a very minimal price