Sign in with
Your question

How do you use dual graphics cards,

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2010 5:54:28 AM

Hello,I have seen the term mentioned but I don't understand how it applies. How does it help or hinder in regards to gaming apps. I have two cards but not the same type one as in model one is a 9500gt and I don't remember what the other is. Both are pci-e though. I have one digital monitor and one VGA.
I am just wondering how to use dual graphics cards.

More about : dual graphics cards

a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2010 6:11:49 AM

Dual Nvidia Graphics cards can be run on a compatible motherboard with 2 PCIE slots.Such a setup is called SLI.However SLI requires two same cards(same model, brands may be different) to function.If your other card is anything other than a 9500 GT, SLI won't work.However you can use the other card to process PhysX, which is supported by a few games.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 17, 2010 6:29:22 AM

And even if the other card is a 9500GT I don't think it will SLi as it's not powerful enough by Nvidia's standards.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2010 6:51:58 AM

Mousemonkey said:
And even if the other card is a 9500GT I don't think it will SLi as it's not powerful enough by Nvidia's standards.

Agreed.Hence you will not get much from 9500 GT SLI.
m
l
September 17, 2010 7:03:58 AM

I have a dedicated Physx card which is a waste if you ask me. There's only 2 games and I don't play either of them (Mafia 2 and Batman) which really take advantage of this configuration. I wish more would come out but this seems to be nothing more than a gimmick.

I really want to do SLI for my 460but I don't have the right motherboard and I don't see them dropping in price any time soon (775 socket SLI). If that doesn't happen I'll have to wait till I upgrade everything in about 2 years.

In summation: you don't get much of anything with 2 cards if they are not in an SLI configuration. My second card is used only to watch movies on an aging tv with the S-Video cable.
m
l
September 24, 2010 10:00:27 AM

Quote:
Hello,I have seen the term mentioned but I don't understand how it applies. How does it help or hinder in regards to gaming apps. I have two cards but not the same type one as in model one is a 9500gt and I don't remember what the other is. Both are pci-e though. I have one digital monitor and one VGA.
I am just wondering how to use dual graphics cards.

So sli is not much unless you use 2 of them and then only on a few games seems like a waste probably a comeon to sell more cards I suppose:??: 

m
l
!