Sign in with
Your question

How to connect to internet

Last response: in Networking
May 19, 2010 3:11:25 AM

hi guys i recently just finished building my computer and this is my first time so i dont know how to connect to the internet at all. my router is downstairs but my computer is upstairs and fortunately i have a very long Ethernet cable, and connected it to my computer. i started up and messed around with the internet network settings. there is only msn or dial up connection now and no choice of a local internet connection, and i have no internet at all ( my comp doesnt recognize my ethernet cable). am i doing something wrong? i only have the blue ethernet cable connected to my computer. thanks

More about : connect internet

May 19, 2010 5:53:06 AM

k3v1n_123 said:
hi guys i recently just finished building my computer and this is my first time so i dont know how to connect to the internet at all. my router is downstairs but my computer is upstairs and fortunately i have a very long Ethernet cable, and connected it to my computer. i started up and messed around with the internet network settings. there is only msn or dial up connection now and no choice of a local internet connection, and i have no internet at all ( my comp doesnt recognize my ethernet cable). am i doing something wrong? i only have the blue ethernet cable connected to my computer. thanks

[#0005ff]I fear that blue cable is meant for the uplink only but check out Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Network Adapters and make sure there isn't a yellow mark beside it. If there is, click on Update Driver and see what happens. If there is no mark, check Control Panel>Network Connections to see if one exists for the ethernet. Look in Internet Options>Connections tab and delete those dial-up and MSN entries. Click the LAN button and in the next form, put a tick in "Automatically detect settings".

For an inexpensive alternative to that long cable, you may care to buy a wireless dongle.
[/#000ff]
m
l
May 19, 2010 10:38:14 PM

hey thanks for the reply. there is in fact a yellow ! next to the Ethernet controller under the network adapter. also if i click update, the hardware update wizard opens up and it asks me can windows connect to windows update to search for software and i click yes and it says it cannot find it, so it tells me that i should connect to the internet when in fact i do not have internet because it needs the driver in the first place! also there are many question marks beside many of my devices - my sound, i do not have any sound either. i am so confused as to why this is all happening. i have the gigabyte ga p55 usb3 mobo. is windows xp home compatible with this, because it installed all the other drivers fine except for my internet and sound. thanks alot
m
l
Related resources
May 20, 2010 6:17:53 AM

k3v1n_123 said:
hey thanks for the reply. there is in fact a yellow ! next to the Ethernet controller under the network adapter. also if i click update, the hardware update wizard opens up and it asks me can windows connect to windows update to search for software and i click yes and it says it cannot find it, so it tells me that i should connect to the internet when in fact i do not have internet because it needs the driver in the first place! also there are many question marks beside many of my devices - my sound, i do not have any sound either. i am so confused as to why this is all happening. i have the gigabyte ga p55 usb3 mobo. is windows xp home compatible with this, because it installed all the other drivers fine except for my internet and sound. thanks alot

[#0005ff]Windows can't discern whether or not you're online even though it's staring the obvious in the face. :(  If you have your Gigbayte CD, pop that in and see if you can track the driver or point Driver Update to the CD and see if it can. Failing that, click the device and then click the Details tab. Note the four characters after VEN_ and then DEV_ and key them in the appropriate input boxes at http://www.pcidatabase.com and you'll then find the manufacturer and perhaps even a link to heir website.

Just get the ethernet - sound can find itself after the machine can connect to the Net
[/#000ff]
m
l
May 20, 2010 10:59:21 PM

i finally got the sound working (copied latest driver from website onto usb, transferred to new computer) but i still have no internet! i have tried what you said but nothing. i also noticed that when i plugged my ethernet cable into my computer the blue light comes on, but my computer doesnt recognize it. i also downloaded the latest ethernet driver from the website but it doesnt do anything. i am now attempting to download the chipset driver. thanks
m
l
May 20, 2010 11:42:08 PM

i seem to have run into a problem. when i installed the chipset it stops and a popup says you must have administrator rights to install this sofware? i have xp home
any ideas?
m
l
May 20, 2010 11:51:11 PM

i think i am admin as i can create and delete things. what i going on?
m
l
May 21, 2010 7:13:45 AM

k3v1n_123 said:
i seem to have run into a problem. when i installed the chipset it stops and a popup says you must have administrator rights to install this sofware? i have xp home
any ideas?

[#0005ff]Try starting the system in Safe Mode by tapping Function 8 as it loads. Click on the Administrator icon and hope the installer didn't put in a password you were never told.[/#000ff]
m
l
May 21, 2010 7:28:22 PM

i tried the f8 function, got into safe mode, logged into admin and the same thing happens; when i plugged in the usb to get to my intel driver (no internet) it says that it requires an admin to install the software. i just logged into the admin account! when i log into safe mode though what exactly am i suppose to do anyways? try installing the driver there? thanks
m
l
May 21, 2010 9:08:58 PM

ok my internet finally works! now im still having issues with the chipset driver
m
l
May 22, 2010 6:13:51 AM

k3v1n_123 said:
ok my internet finally works! now im still having issues with the chipset driver

[#0005ff]I should have made this Administrator lark a little clearer. You're probably using Windows 7 and in that, as in Vista but unlike XP, there's a facility to RunAs Administrator and that appears in the options when you click on an file of type .exe. When I suggested Safe Mode, I assumed XP which was wrong of me as you'd said you'd just built the machine - I should instead have realsied you'd probably put in the latest OS.

The Administrator account doesn't appear on the logon screen in Vista and Seven unless you enable it.

What's the problem with the Chipset diver? Right click and select RunAs Administrator and see if that helps.
[/#000ff]
m
l
May 22, 2010 6:30:08 AM

i have windows xp home edition sp2.
m
l
!