Onboard Radeon 4200 hd vs Radeon 8500 128 ddr

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingreendog

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
I recently built a computer and decided to use the on board grafix, ATI Radeon 4200 HD. I figured it was new enough should be fine.
I'm not a heavy gamer but i do play WoW and a couple other games, I also watch movies and other video.
I have determined that the new 4200 does not run WoW as well as my old pewter, with a slower processor less ram and the Radeon 8500 card in it.
I have not reset the game settings but i have played around in the CCC that is for the 4200 and I can successfully make things worse. :sarcastic:
my question is,,,, Is my old 8500 card better than the 4200hd? or do I have something mis configured?

Thanks

Solution
G

Those guys don´t even Read what ppl are saying. Look he´s talking about a RADEON 8500 and not about a Geforce 8500GT.

A radeon 8500 with 128mb isn´t better then the Onboard HD4200. I suggest to reinstall the video drivers or even the O.S. The onboard HD4200 should performance like a discrete Geforce 6600 or a Radeon...

flyingreendog

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
I run WoW on it's minimal settings, and I notice low frame rates and jerky grafix.
I just finished updating ATI's CCC and video drivers, and no changes.

So, both the 4200hd and the 8500 cards are low end but i just dont understand why the same game seems worse for video than with the old card.

@madass,,,
IF,, I dont have something set wrong then I will most likely upgrade cards, but money is tight rite now, I just want what i have to run the best it can for now i guess.

thanks

Onboard graphics are not meant for gaming. Just because a video chip is newer does not guarantee it is better for 3D gaming.

I suggest you look at the latest Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart right here at Tom's (September 2010). On that chart you will see the the 8500 GT is a tier higher than the HD4200 and therefore better for gaming. Refer back to this chart when you are shopping for a graphics card.

G

Those guys don´t even Read what ppl are saying. Look he´s talking about a RADEON 8500 and not about a Geforce 8500GT.

A radeon 8500 with 128mb isn´t better then the Onboard HD4200. I suggest to reinstall the video drivers or even the O.S. The onboard HD4200 should performance like a discrete Geforce 6600 or a Radeon HD2400...

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.