USB 3.0 numbers (upload vs download)

YeeP

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Just wondering if anyone has played with their 3.0 ports and seen a large difference between the speeds depending on which direction you are sending the data. I have a brand new laptop, and it is the first time I have had USB 3.0. It seems like when I am running the data from the machine to the USB device (I have tested it with multiple high quality devices), I get a maximum speed of 30Mb/s. I went through the multiple tier Toshiba tech support, and ending up mailing my laptop into their tech people. Only to get it back telling me this is normal and the speed difference is in download from the external device, to the machine.

I got it back on Saturday so I have not had time to test this, but I will tonight. Either way, this seems like total b.s., and I have been trying to find something online this morning where someone tested the data "shift" in both directions. All I can find is the max speeds, and no mention of which way it was traveling.

Any experience you have had would be very helpful to me. Thank you.

"All I can find is the max speeds"

That's all you will find because there are so many variables that can affect transfer speed and the only figure that can be quoted with any accuracy is the maximum speed that's theoretically possible.

popatim

Titan
have you looked up the read and write speeds of the device you are using to test with? I have an external usb3 HDD that gets 100mbs whereas my early generation usb3 flashdrive does 30mbs read and a bit over 17mbs write. The point being different devices have different limits.

YeeP

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013

I will do that. I do have multiple devices and they all seem to have the same result. Thanks for the tip.