munnz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I have a HP XW6200 workstation and i want to add a second processor how do i go about doing that. i have the the second processor i just want to know exactly what to do, dont want to screw up on my first try and risk any damage. any help?

mavroxur

Distinguished
munnz - i'll jump in here and give you a simple answer, unlike some others.

The second processor must match the first processor exactly. Same speed, same cache, etc. Installation is simple. The CPU socket has a lock/release lever. Lift this lever to unlock the socket. Insert the CPU (take care to note the position of the key pin, and orient it to the key pin location on the socket). Fully seat the processor. Return the lever to the "lock" position to lock the processor in. Apply a small amount of heatsink compound to the top of the CPU, and install your heatsink. The Xeon 603/604 heatsink in this system uses (4) screws to attach it. Start the screws in opposite corners first, and then start the remaining two. Working in an "X" patter, begin to tighten the four screws, tightening the screws 2-3 turns and work your way back and forth until all are securely tightened. This is to ensure the heatsink seats properly. When the system is powered on, it will automatically detect the second processor.

munnz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
ok thank you so much thats exactly what i was thinking. i just though i had to do some BIOS updates for it or something. so adding the second processor will do what exactly for me?...just curious

They also need to have the same Sspec code too. Same cache speed and model is one thing, but they also have to be the same SSpec code too because there may be different revisions and stepping of that processor. It has to be 100% matching chip.

@dogman why do you even try?? This was a simple question to answer instead you want to just keep posting BS. You know nothing of MP systems, but yet you want to post for what points, badges what is it you trying to accomplish, because I have yet to see you display any real knowledge of computers. Please try to learn more of that book you reading or something I am saying this in the nicest way I can.

mavroxur

Distinguished

Sorry, i forgot to explicitly mention sspec, and just grouped it in as etc. But munnz, be sure to check that too.

And as far as dogman, i'm not quite sure. Most of his posts are irrelevant to the question being asked, or are redundant to already answered questions. "System won't turn on? Try flushing the toilet" kind of replies.

mavroxur

Distinguished
just to make sure.... both chips are the same or close enough to be compatible.?
just wanting clarification.

FYI
5. Stepping does not matter.
6. Clock speed does not matter.

If all of those are met, then you can run the CPUs together. The CPUs run at the speed of the slowest CPU. The current mix and match list:

1. Xeon E5502- can only work with another E5502 since it's the only dual-core Xeon 5500 (#4.)
2. Xeon E5504 can work with the E5506, both CPUs run at 2.00 GHz.
3. Xeon E5520 can work with the E5530 or E5540, both CPUs run at 2.26 GHz in either case.
4. Xeon E5530 can work with the E5520 (CPUs run at 2.26 GHz) or E5540 (CPUs run at 2.40 GHz)
5. Xeon X5550 can work with the X5560 or X5570, both CPUs run at 2.67 GHz in either case.
6. Xeon X5560 can work with the X5550 (CPUs run at 2.67 GHz) or X5570 (CPUs run at 2.80 GHz)
7. Xeon W5580 can work with the W5590, both CPUs run at 3.20 GHz)
8. Xeon L5506- can only work with other L5506s since it's the only L-series Xeon 5500 without HyperThreading.
9. Xeon L5518 can work with the L5520 or L5530, both CPUs run at 2.13 GHz in either case.
10. Xeon L5520 can work with the L5518 (CPUs run at 2.13 GHz) or L5530 (CPUs run at 2.26 GHz.)
11. Xeon L5508- can only work with other L5508s since it's the only 38-watt TDP Xeon 5500.

And none of this is true for older 603/604 Xeons, which the OP is using. Try googling the OP's system model number. They need to match identically.