Hopefully this is the right place for this issue:
I recently installed a new solid state drive. In the process of doing so, I think I may have inadvertently done some damage of some sort, possibly involving scratching the video card.
I currently have a dual boot, both of which are Windows 7 Ultimate, I've cloned my original hard drive on the SSD, and I have the option of booting Windows 7 from either hard drive. I am experiencing the same symptoms in both OSes.
I have an ATI Radeon HD 6850 video card.
I have a Legitech G15 keyboard, with a razor lachesis mouse plugged into the keyboard.
Playing DOTA2 triggers it pretty reliably. It can also occur when I am doing non-intensive things like checking my games library in steam or just navigating the internet. It's not very predictable.
1. I will notice that the computer starts freezing for a split second every 3 seconds or so. This is most obvious when listening to music or playing games. At the same time, my keyboard stops receiving button presses. My mouse(which is plugged into the keyboard) still works and the keyboard is still backlit(powered by USB).
2. At this point I start pressing random keyboard keys; I'm not sure if that's necessary to get to the next issue.
3. After about 15 seconds of pushing random keyboard keys, the mouse stops working, the backlights on the keyboard go out, and my computer makes the "beep boop" sound that I associate with a device being unplugged.
4. About 10 seconds later, I'll hear the "boop beep" sound that I associate with a device being plugged and all of the above symptoms vanish.
5. Unfortunately, it starts again about 30 seconds later.
What I've tried:
I've uninstalled and re-installed my graphics drivers. No improvement.
I've rebooted several times. Into both OSes.