Dual cpu questions

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
I was thinking about going for the gusto with my next build and wanted to get some info. Now all but the most loyal mac fan boys will agree that macs overpriced, but the power macs do have one redeeming quality, which are dual physical cpus.

I know the those macs use intel xenon cpus, with some kind of dual cpu compatible mobos which leads me to a few questions:

1) What companies besides intel makes dual cpu (server) mobos?

2) if so what are the best companies that make server mobos? Is it the usual suspects that are top notch like Asus and Gigabyte?

3) do server mobos have multiple 16x pcie 2.0 slots for XFire/SLI?

4) Does windows 7 support more than one physical cpu or is it better to install windows server 2008r2 and just install the direct x to play games?

5) are server mobos more sensitive, meaning they are more likely to give out under moderate to heavy gaming usage?

I'd appreciate any CONSTRUCTIVE feedback you guys can provide. I was going to look at newegg first but I decided to ask here before i look through the many mobos on there.

AMD also makes server CPUs: the Magny-Cours 4, 6, and 8 core cpus.

Tyan is one of the better server board makers.

if you are going to be gaming, server CPUs are not going to do what you want - they are better at multitasking rather than raw single-thread power that many games need. You'd end up getting similar performance out of a $400 dual-CPU build that you would get out of a $240 domestic CPU

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

So you're saying 2x six core xenons will provide NO improvement over your standard core I7 950-980 or phenom II 6x for gaming?

depends on the game.

As most games use 1 or 2 core, you won't see much improvement with multiple CPUs.. they just aren't programmed for it. a recent review of 20 games revealed an average usage of 2.75 cores. having 8, 12, or more cores won't see any improvement