SSD troubles, BIOS stopped recognizing

bholmquist11

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Hi guys, two days ago my SSD stopped showing up in any format on my Desktop. I believe this happened immediately after a hard reset/power cut off. Here is how things stand

Relevant specs:
MSI p67A G43 motherboard
ADATA SP900 SSD
Wester Digital HDD

I had been running in IDE mode on the "Integrated Peripherals" section for the last 8 months, and had installed both operating system in this mode as well. I've had Windows 7 installed, plus a couple games and Itunes on my SSD. Windows 7 is also installed on the HDD, but I have only been using that drive as storage space.

HDD is in Sata port 1, while SSD is in SATA 2. In integrated peripherals, only the HDD shows up. I've switched to AHCI and this is still the case. Upon booting to my old Windows 7 OS on the HDD, I've downloaded the ADATA firmware update tool. This scans for drives but does not find the ADATA, and thus I can't update my firmware. The device also doesn't show up in disk management. I can't get the computer to recognize that it exists.

I've tried switching the SATA ports to no effect. Something strange was happening though when I put the SSD in SATA 3 (a non-6GB/s port). With this and the HDD plugged in, the MOBO stopped recognizing my HDD as well and could not boot in IDE mode. It would however boot in AHCI mode. Once I moved the SSD back to SATA 2, the HDD could boot in both modes.

Any ideas? It's starting to feel like a dead unit... Thanks for the help.

Ben

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
I had the following problem.

A corsair Nova 60Gb SSD. This drive worked fine for little over 3 years. But last few weeks I noticed that sometimes my PC froze. Tried a few things and began to suspect the SSD. Indilinx SSD tool showed that this drive was 100% healthy and that it had almost 12000 working hours. I noticed that when the PC froze the drive wasn't recognized by my BIOS after a restart. A second restart or complete power-cycle let the BIOS see the SSD again.

I decided to remove its partitions and do a fresh format. This halted at 90%. While the rest of my PC worked fine. After about a hour at 90% I decided to shutdown the PC. Now this SSD isn't recognized by BIOS anymore. This time permanently.

After receiving a negative RMA ticket from Corsair i decided to open up this drive. I noticed the following.

1) there's nothing to divert the heat away from the components.
2) some components where chipped of (2 circular inductor like components near the power connector), probably due to excessive heat.

I have pictures of the failed components which I can't post on this website unfortunately. But I'm sure this is why SO MANY SSD's fail so quickly. They fail when they've run far less then their supposed 100'000 hours MTBF. I've seen (as a systembuilder) more SSD's fail withing 3 years than ANY mechanical drives recently. Mechanical drives fail due to shock (when people aren't carefull enough with their equipment) but SSD's have no moving parts and thus are quite shock-resistant. Yet most brands are so unreliable. Many drives fail withing the first 2 years.

Besides the controller and memory chips vendors use bad crappy components!