Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How should I put away my cpu?

Last response: in CPUs
February 2, 2011 2:36:45 AM

The motherboard I got from newegg.com was defective, so now I have to remove the cpu and heatsink. The problem is, even though I installed the CPU yesterday, I have lost the foam part (I just know it was black and soft) where the bottom and most sensitive part of the CPU was on. Can someone please tell me how I should store my CPU until I get a new motherboard from Newegg.

More about : put cpu

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2011 2:40:24 AM

Just store it in an anti-static bag, somewhere that it won't get bumped/dropped/messed with.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2011 2:53:45 AM

Chips come in a plastic hard shell along with the cooler. Find the little plastic case it was in and use it.
m
l
Related resources
February 2, 2011 3:33:09 AM

christop said:
Chips come in a plastic hard shell along with the cooler. Find the little plastic case it was in and use it.

I have it but there was that one black foam thing protecting the bottom of the CPU too.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2011 3:35:30 AM

mega proto said:
I have it but there was that one black foam thing protecting the bottom of the CPU too.

The black foam serves two purposes. It's anti-static, and it protects the CPU from physical damage. Just put it in a static bag, fold the bag over a few times, and put it somewhere it won't be bumped around or dropped. It will be fine.
February 2, 2011 3:43:53 AM

Best answer selected by mega proto.
m
l
February 2, 2011 3:56:04 AM

On the other hand if it's an AMD chip (FCPGA) be very carefull folding the bag, as those pins are very easy to bend.
Do not use standard foam, as it is not antistatic.
m
l
!