UT2004 crashes to desktop on two maps, every single time

My PC is a 3.4GHz P4, 1GB RAM, 80GB hard disk and a Radeon 9700pro graphics
card. Fresh install of XP Pro with SP1.

Install UT2004, get latest patch etc..

Games play fine except for DoubleDamage and Orbital2 maps. Both of these
crach to desktop 100% of the time, I've never seen these maps yet and I've
had the game for months! There is nothing else on this PC yet.

I contacted support, they had me try loads of things and send them the
directx details etc.. Still no luck, these two maps crash. I send the error
reports every time. No response. All others work fine.

Does anyone have a clue how I can fix this? If I play on my favourite server
and one of these maps come up I have to go play somewhere esle until those
games have ended and they are on another map. It is really frustrating. I've
tried re-installs of the OS and UT2004 etc..

Please can someone help me!

"Stephen Aldous" <steve@stephenaldous.com> wrote in message
> My PC is a 3.4GHz P4, 1GB RAM, 80GB hard disk and a Radeon 9700pro
graphics
> card. Fresh install of XP Pro with SP1.
>
> Install UT2004, get latest patch etc..
>
> Games play fine except for DoubleDamage and Orbital2 maps. Both of these
> crach to desktop 100% of the time, I've never seen these maps yet and I've
> had the game for months! There is nothing else on this PC yet.
>
> I contacted support, they had me try loads of things and send them the
> directx details etc.. Still no luck, these two maps crash. I send the
error
> reports every time. No response. All others work fine.
>
> Does anyone have a clue how I can fix this? If I play on my favourite
server
> and one of these maps come up I have to go play somewhere esle until those
> games have ended and they are on another map. It is really frustrating.
I've
> tried re-installs of the OS and UT2004 etc..
>
> Please can someone help me!

usually crashes to the desktop indicate a memory error. But since you say
it is ONLY on those two maps, it's hard to say. I would suggest trying to
copy them from somebody else and and see what happens..

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Stephen Aldous wrote:
> My PC is a 3.4GHz P4, 1GB RAM, 80GB hard disk and a Radeon 9700pro graphics
> card. Fresh install of XP Pro with SP1.
>
> Install UT2004, get latest patch etc..
>
> Games play fine except for DoubleDamage and Orbital2 maps. Both of these
> crach to desktop 100% of the time, I've never seen these maps yet and I've
> had the game for months! There is nothing else on this PC yet.
>
> I contacted support, they had me try loads of things and send them the
> directx details etc.. Still no luck, these two maps crash. I send the error
> reports every time. No response. All others work fine.
>
> Does anyone have a clue how I can fix this? If I play on my favourite server
> and one of these maps come up I have to go play somewhere esle until those
> games have ended and they are on another map. It is really frustrating. I've
> tried re-installs of the OS and UT2004 etc..
>
> Please can someone help me!

I would check the drivers for both your Grapics card AND sound card.
Try turning EAX off - this caused similar problems for me on a
brand new Audigy ZS
HTH

--
Replace the DOT's to reply

Good idea, could someone post these two maps so I can overwrite my copies?
Maybe they are damaged on the install CD. I've re-installed drivers etc.. no
difference. It is only these two maps. I've never had a crash to desktop
from any other map, even after 4 hours of playing!

"Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in message
> "Stephen Aldous" <steve@stephenaldous.com> wrote in message
> > My PC is a 3.4GHz P4, 1GB RAM, 80GB hard disk and a Radeon 9700pro
> graphics
> > card. Fresh install of XP Pro with SP1.
> >
> > Install UT2004, get latest patch etc..
> >
> > Games play fine except for DoubleDamage and Orbital2 maps. Both of these
> > crach to desktop 100% of the time, I've never seen these maps yet and
I've
> > had the game for months! There is nothing else on this PC yet.
> >
> > I contacted support, they had me try loads of things and send them the
> > directx details etc.. Still no luck, these two maps crash. I send the
> error
> > reports every time. No response. All others work fine.
> >
> > Does anyone have a clue how I can fix this? If I play on my favourite
> server
> > and one of these maps come up I have to go play somewhere esle until
those
> > games have ended and they are on another map. It is really frustrating.
> I've
> > tried re-installs of the OS and UT2004 etc..
> >
> > Please can someone help me!
> >

> usually crashes to the desktop indicate a memory error. But since you say
> it is ONLY on those two maps, it's hard to say. I would suggest trying to
> copy them from somebody else and and see what happens..
>
> --
>
> Margolis

http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

Meltdown

Margolis enlightened us with:
> usually crashes to the desktop indicate a memory error. But since
> you say it is ONLY on those two maps, it's hard to say. I would
> suggest trying to copy them from somebody else and and see what
> happens..

An even better idea: ask the people who built the maps for a MD5 sum
of some other means of verifying the correctness of your download.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Stephen Aldous wrote:

> My PC is a 3.4GHz P4, 1GB RAM, 80GB hard disk and a Radeon 9700pro graphics
> card. Fresh install of XP Pro with SP1.
>
> Install UT2004, get latest patch etc..
>
> Games play fine except for DoubleDamage and Orbital2 maps. Both of these
> crach to desktop 100% of the time, I've never seen these maps yet and I've
> had the game for months! There is nothing else on this PC yet.

Delete your UT2004\System\UT2004.log file, then browse to the
UT2004\Maps\ folder and run either map from there. After it crashes,
check the log file and see if it references any Textures or Static
Meshes that might be missing or damaged.