How is this build?

conan666

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
i am building a new computer, ive never done this before but so far i have figured out most of what

i would like to see in it based on my own research. Please let me know what you think as im not

even sure how compatible all these things are with eachother. help me build the monster guys :)

i need some input from all you experienced builders out there how this would look?

1. Case (antec 900 two)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129058

2. Mother board (MSI Big Bang Fuzion LGA 1156 Intel

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130259&cm_re=big_bang_fuzion-_-13-130-259-_-Product

3. Graphics Card (Nvidia GTX 460 SS 1GB evga)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130568

4. Memory RAM ( Corsair XMS3 6GB ddr3 1600) 7 cas

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145286

5. Power supply Corsair AX850 850W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015&cm_re=corsair_psu-_-17-139-015-_-Product

6. HDD Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black 7200 RPM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533&cm_re=1tb_wd_black-_-22-136-533-_-Product

7. drives dont matter to me yet but i may get a blu ray.

8. Processor/CPU Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115211

Approximate Purchase Date:
(This Month or Next)

Budget Range:
around 1,500 Before / After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important:

GAMING!! , watching movies, surfing the internet

Parts Not Required: (e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**

um this is seperate in my buget however i am in need of a good monitor looking for LED with high resolution.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
newegg.com, Amazon.com and Frys basically anywhere with best deals)

Country of Origin:
i am in the US

Parts Preferences: by brand or type
i would like to use Intel Corsair and Nvidia based products i am open to Radeon though
And i want to fit everything in a great mid tower case.

Overclocking: Yes / No / Maybe

i dont want to overclock it myself really as i am not experienced but i would buy a pre overclocked graphic card

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / No / Maybe

YES i am particularly interested in SLI of the geforce GTX460

Monitor Resolution:

the more the better, but at least 1080

Additional Comments:

i would like a quite PC and if possible a elegant or cool looking case. this computer has to run crisis on ultra :D

and i believe that is all maybe i forgot somthing but please let me tell me your opinions and i will consider them. Build me a Monster Guys! :D

conan666

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
yikes! yeah i tried to say i wrote all that stuff on the spot but i want an i7 not sure which type is best for me though.

I will fill that out though like you said and post it. thanks

conan666

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
sorry since this i have made a new thread and am now much more knowledgable. also if i claimed to be full of knowledge on parts i would not have made a thread here asking for help on choosing parts in the first place now would i?

thanks anyways for the input i have decided on an i7 875k

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Have you already bought parts? You may be able to return them if you are really keen on SB.

If you have an alright system now then waiting for SB will be very good, though if you really need a new system then that makes waiting a bit hard.

SB is a new CPU architecture, it looks to be very promising.

conan666

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
well i bought the big bang fuzion motherboard a few months ago for a steal price on ebay new. so i doubt i could return it now. though SB looks great, im not sure if its worth selling this mobo and waiting for the next line of mobos which probably wont be out till later this year im guessing.

conan666

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Ill be using it primarily for hardcore gaming, however in the future i may be running

engineering programs. and some people told me the i7-875k is the best processor i could get

for my mobo, and that it can be overclocked better than any i5. but correct me if this is wrong.

suteck

Distinguished
If you bought that motherboard on ebay and it's new and you got it for a really good price you should sell it on ebay. Put a buy it now price on it that, along with shipping, you will get your money back. You can list it for $320, (which is what it's worth new), as buy it now. Then include an auction starting price at what you paid for it, or a little more, and charge shipping (which is around $11.00 flat box rate at USPS), and you will break even or make a small profit. Then you can buy an i7 board, the i7 950 you got your eye on and we'll start fresh and build you a real computer. For around $1,500.00 I think you will do nicely.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
sutecks idea is not too bad. Even if you still went with P55, you would save a lot of money by getting a board that suits your uses.

Yes the 875K is the best CPU available on 1156. I doubt it will OC better though, for extreme OCing it may but everything practical I doubt.

Engineering programs like CAD? Inventor? These utilise HT well and thus an i7 will be better then an i5. Though if your only gaming it will be no use.

suteck

Distinguished
If you want to stick with that board you might like this CPU. You can even overclock it just by increasing the multiplyer, & maybe vcore depending on stability, but it is a really easy overclock. If you want to do your own research on compatible CPU's for that board you can follow this link and find the one you like/want/can afford. Also, if your looking at the i7 875k it is also triple channel support so it's overkill for the board and memory you're getting, so, again, you might want to sell the board to get what you really want.
The memory you selected most likely will not work with that motherboard. It is not listed on their Qualified Vendors' List nor does it come up when you use the corsair memory configurator - Excellent tool - and the memory you selected is for triple channel and your board is dual channel. That being the case I wouldn't waste my time and money on it. Here is a list from Corsair for compatible memory and here is a link to the QVL from MSI. Follow either of these and you shouldn't have any trouble on that score. I personally like to stick to the QVL since it lets you know what will work in all four slots.
Looks like the video card is a good choice and the PSU should be adequate to handle that load. Your antec case looks big enough for the job as well with room for nice air flow for temps. so you didn't do all that bad.
After looking at all this it seems like you're probably spending around (low end) $1,300 to $1,500 bucks. (depending on hard drives, cd/DVD/BluRay drives and cpu cooling since the stock coolers (if they come with the CPU) are hardly ever up to the job. At those kinds of prices you might as well work on an i7 9xxx series kit with all the future benefits and likelyhood of not having to upgrade for quite some time. I always figure a little overkill now helps you keep up later.

conan666

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
@ Suteck

Thanks for the input there. thats not a bad idea at all. i didnt really think of it mostly because i wasnt sure if there is even demand for my board now that this new type is coming out.

You are right also about the memory and since i made this thread i have fixed my list so i will post the new build concept here right now..

1. Case (antec 900 two)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129058

2. Mother board (MSI Big Bang Fuzion LGA 1156 Intel

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130259&cm_re=big_bang_fuzion-_-13-130-259-_-Product

3. Graphics Card (Nvidia GTX 460 SS 1GB evga) I WOULD BUY 2 FOR SLI

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130568

4. Memory RAM G.skill RipJAW 8GB (2x4GB) 1600 DDR3 EDITED!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231401

5. Power supply Corsair AX850 850W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015&cm_re=corsair_psu-_-17-139-015-_-Product

6. HDD Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black 7200 RPM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533&cm_re=1tb_wd_black-_-22-136-533-_-Product

7. drives dont matter to me yet but i may get a blu ray.

8. Processor/CPU Intel Core i7-875k EDITED!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116368

Approximate Purchase Date:
(This Month or Next)

Budget Range:
around 1,500 Before / After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important:

GAMING!! , watching movies, surfing the internet

MAYBE ENGINEERING SOFTWARE

Parts Not Required: (e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**

um this is seperate in my buget however i am in need of a good monitor looking for LED with high resolution.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
newegg.com, Amazon.com and Frys basically anywhere with best deals)

Country of Origin:
i am in the US

Parts Preferences: by brand or type
i would like to use Intel Corsair and Nvidia based products i am open to Radeon though
And i want to fit everything in a great mid tower case.

Overclocking: Yes / No / Maybe

i dont want to overclock it myself really as i am not experienced but i would buy a pre overclocked graphic card

EDITED: I MAY OVERCLOCK IN THE FUTURE ONCE I LEARN MORE ABOUT IT

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / No / Maybe

YES i am particularly interested in SLI of the geforce GTX460

Monitor Resolution:

the more the better, but at least 1080

Additional Comments:

i would like a quite PC and if possible a elegant or cool looking case. this computer has to run crisis on ultra :D

and i believe that is all maybe i forgot somthing but please let me tell me your opinions and i will consider them. Build me a Monster Guys! :D

conan666

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
i think its important that i also ask this question, If i do decide now to sell this board and

start over, when should i expect to to have my computer by at the soonest?

the reason i am asking is that i assume these new MOBO's havent even been designed yet since the processors themselves have yet to be released.

Last question is, if i do wait and we go with the sandybeaches and new MOBO and stuff.

how much of an improvement do you think we would see over the build concept i just listed?

Thanks for your time guys and as always feel free to let me know any opinions, i am

interested in all of your comments.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
You need to make the decision to wait for SB or not, we can't make it for you. Can you handle not having a new PC for 3 months? The gaming advantages will not be great with current GPU offerings as the current CPUs don't bottleneck GPUs. This may change though as newer GPUs come out though this would take a while I think, especially with OCing.

Where you will see large benefits is with "Engineering Applications". Though you haven't told us what they are... and how serious it will be. Will it just be learning? Or will it be time is money stuff where you don't mind paying for extra CPU power.

If your no super cereal about the engineering applications then I think your best CPU choice would be the i5 750. In games you will see no performance increase by going with the i7 8XX or 9XX yet it will save you money to get a beefier graphics setup which will give you more performance.

Selling that board will save you around $150. That $150 will certainly go a long way towards graphics cards though you decide.

If you decide not to go with SB then I do think it would be wise to wait for the 69XX cards from ATI. They are sceduled for 22nd of Nov as long as they don't get delayed. If you do wait for them I think you should go with around either 2 6950s or 2 6970 depending on price. This will give you a lot of performance over a GTX 460 SLI.

In conclusion I think it would be best to wait till 69XX launch as you don't seem to mind waiting. And I'll put my vote in for an i5 760.

@sutek
The reason that memory is not on the QVL is because its a triple channel kit. The XMS3 1600MHz C7 4GB is on the list. Though I prefer the Ripjaws anyway.

That dual core i5 would be a terrible CPU to get at this point. The unlocked multi means little to non extreme OCers and the OP was already looking at an unlocked i7.

You say the i7 8XX has triple channel memory support and quote this as a bad thing. It is on a platform which only supports dual channel memory so I don't exactly see how you get to that.

The only benefit to the i7 9XX is that they run on X58 which supports 3 way SLI/CF. Though this can be had with a much cheaper NF200 P55 board. Also there are barely any upgrade options, same as P55. Though it is possible for it to receive SB CPUs though this is unconfirmed (last I heard).

The 9XX will not help the OP "not upgrade for quite some time", nor is it a "little overkill". It is the same as an i7 8XX but on X58. All this does is give it the "possibility" of SB.

Sorry to be so negative, don't take it the wrong way.

Cough cough, Big Bang fuzion is defiantly not worth the price, your better off getting a MSI Fuzion, not the big bang fuzion. Plus, Cayman and SB as mentioned prior are coming out... soo... it'd be stupid to buy now. Sir you need way more research then you think buddy.

Also... I just looked at your build over again, you chosen a decent set of stuff... But lets say you don't wait and you get this build. Your getting a retarded HDD, WD's are overated and overpriced, Samsung F3's are much better and much cheaper, especially the sales on the 1TB now at Newegg, it's a bargain. Next, you have a 1500$ budget, but yet you aren't getting an SSD. What's up with that? I recommend the A-Data S599 mainly because its a bargain at 100 for 64gb, and it's a SF-1220 so it's just as good as the Vertex 2. If you know what those are.

To evaluate on the F3, the F3 is a 500gb platter size the platter size will help in read and write speeds while the WD series only has a 320gb platter size. Granted, yours is the updated Black version, but at 90$ for a 1TB when the F3 1tb is 70$ and performs just as good, it's a save. Don't say "Sata 6" because then I'll know you didn't do research.

Mobo, very bad mobo, it's a good in the sense of OCing and other things, but price point is retarded at 300$. You should look at the MSI Fuzion, it's the mainstream version with all the same cababilties and cheaper too. It's a stupid decision to waste 300$ on a mobo if you don't have a 3000$ budget (which then if you did I'd just call you stupid) -_-.

Anyway, onto your Power supply, sure corsair is a great brand yes its a 80+ gold. You don't need it though, at MOST you probably need only a 750w. And even then it doesn't need to be 80+ Gold cert. I mean you save 30$ going from that Corsair to this XFX of the same wattage, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207001&Tpk=Xfx%20850

However, will you need it? No imo, I think you should just go with a 750w. But that's just my opinion.

XFX 750: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207003&Tpk=xfx%20750
A-Data S599: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211485&cm_re=s599-_-20-211-485-_-Product
F3 1TB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185&cm_re=f3_1tb-_-22-152-185-_-Product
MSI Fuzion: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130296&cm_re=msi_fuzion-_-13-130-296-_-Product

conan666

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
@aznshinobi

i tried to read everything before i commented back on what you said but i after you mentioned my "bad choice" 3 times i have to

just make it clear that if you read this thread properly you may have noticed that i have already bought that MOBO and i bought it

for HALF the retail price on ebay brand new so i got a great deal i would say dont you? dont take it the wrong way, id just prefer

you understand the facts before you judge my decisions here.

Im very confused at your words calling it a horrible MOBO but then suggesting the cheaper version of it. But i see now you feel

that way mainly because of the high price. i suggest you make that clear though in your reasonings because people would not know why you are critiquing the product.

....ok im finished reading now

your not the first who recommended the lower wattage and XFX. i just decided based on preference that i prefer the 850 because i never want to have to buy a new PSU in the future just because i buy some new power hungry graphic card. i want to make my pc future proof and upgrade friendly you see. and if the cost is only an extra 30 bucks then its worth it to me.

As for corsair vs XFX i didnt do any research on XFX yet and so we can just say my sticking to corsair proof of my laziness at this

point im concentrating on other parts more than the PSU. i just believe that Corsair is basically the perfect PSU and everyone says if your going to go cheap on something do NOT make it the psu.

THANK YOU though for the HDD suggestion i think i will take your advice on that for sure. however when it comes to SDD i just think they are way to expensive for the amount of storage you get out of them. i would rather wait for them to go down in price which they will inevitably do as china makes more factories.

thank you for your input i do appreciate it.

conan666

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
@Wolygon

I can handle not having a pc for a few months, but im asking if you were me would you do it would you think its really worth it?

I am understanding this from what you say. That basically with these processors i wont have to ever worry that the game is

slowing down do to them. and that the limiting factor will be the GPU's as they still need much improvement to.

Okay i am majoring in engineering as a student, and as of yet i have not had to use any programs but i want to be prepared for the future you know? haha.

So i dont know which programs would be used either.

My question is that will games in the near future take more advantage of the hyperthreading in the i7's?

im also assuming that when you say id save $150 by waiting. that this means the newer MOBO and CPU's will be that much

cheaper. it would be good to factor in though that i already saved that much in buying this MOBO.

THANK you for telling me about these new graphic cards though. i think you just sold me on at least waiting for those. I was almost completely sold on the 460's as well. so im interested in how these new radeons would stack up against the sli 460 configuration.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Jesus aznshinobi are you drunk? You didn't even bother to read the thread before you commented like a spastic. GTFO until you get some manners.

@OP

Hmm, I'm not sure what I'd do. I think I'd probably just get the i5 now, for gaming SB won't be bringing much and your not very serious on engin. applications. I'm studying engineering next year and I believe you might use CAD, Inventor and maybe Matlab. I run Inventor and AutoCAD on an i3 530 for learning purposes and its fine, they won't expect you to have a high end CAD workstation so you'll be fine.

I didn't say that the new SB CPUs will make it so you never have to worry about them being a problem. I was talking about the i5 not being a problem, it will take a while for i5s to bottleneck graphics cards. Also they can be OCed nicely, meaning if you need the extra power you can get it.

I don't think games using HT is a very big problem, they will be rarish and plus an OCed i5 should be able to handle most graphics setups in the immediate future.

I meant you'd save around $150 if you sold your board and bought a standard P55. Since you got the board so cheap if you sell it you basically get a P55 board for free.

I'd predict the HD6970 to run similar performance to GTX460 SLI.

Another reason not to get the SB that come out in Q1 next year is that Ivy Bridge, I think looks more promising. It is predicted for the second half of next year, also AMDs Bulldozer will be coming out thenish. These 2 new choices make SB less appealing as you already have to wait a fair while for it.

Obviously though if you have a good system waiting for SB would be nice. What system do you have? You could buy a graphics card for the new build (6970?) and put it in it for the mean time. It should satisfy your needs temporarily.

Though if you really don't mind waiting yet have a bad PC you could wait for SB as it would be ideal. If your like me you just really need a nice PC by the time Crysis 2 comes out :).