Cpu is shutting down while 2-3 munites playing games

Scare_Crow

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Hello,
i bought a new computer. core i5 760, asus h55 m board, 6gb ddr3 ram, 1gb ati hd 4670 video card. when i try to play games like james bond blood stone, moh 2010, cod black ops.. after 2-5 munites monitor is going into safe mode but cpu is still running.. after a while the cpu also shutting down

5n4p

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Sounds like over heating issue to me or even hardware related. Not software.

If you just bought a pre-built system it should not be doing that... If you bought it at a brick and motor establishment I would just take it in and swap it out with a new one or try to get the repairs covered under warranty (only covers hardware).

I wouldn't bother trouble shooting the machine if it was still under a return policy/warranty.
That's what they are for ;)
but if you want to get your hands dirty test with the above programs that Herr_Koos mentioned and post back the results if you cannot figure out the issue.

Does the system run stable when you are not playing games? Give us a screen shot of CPUID HWmonitor and lets see what your system is running at.

This is almost certainly an overheating or power problem, possibly both in the form of a cheap PSU overheating. What brand and model is the PSU (not just wattage)? With only a HD4670, a quality 400W PSU should have no trouble with this rig. A POS "600" PSU may choke on it.

haphestus

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
What if the Thermal Paste hasn't been applied correctly or the heat sink secured properly? This could also apply to the graphics card.

Have you tried the usual updating of all drivers etc... including BIOS? I know this is crappy IT support script but 7 out of 10 times it works.

Try downloading speed fan and letting your PC sit idle for a while. What temps do you get when doing nothing?

oc_mania

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Just a question, is your videocard Powercolor ? I have a simular build (cpu and gpu) and also had system shutdowns in some games : had to lower my gpu core clock speed from 750 to 700 with msi afterburner to fix the problem : /