Sign in with
Your question

Need Advice on multi-purpose build $1,000

Last response: in Systems
November 8, 2010 1:36:57 AM

Hi, I'd like to start off by saying I have never built a computer before and don't know a lot about choosing parts and wanted some advice.

Approximate Purchase Date: 2-3 weeks (more toward black friday and cyber monday deals)

Budget Range: $1000 more or less

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Internet, video editing, and watching movies, maybe some photo editing

Parts Not Required: I need everything except a SSD(weird I know) I bought one as a shell shocker from Newegg and its in my laptop right now but it will be coming out for this computer, so added on to this bill is a 2.5" drive(whatever is cheap and reliable and around 160GB or more)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon, or wherever but I don't live near a Microcenter

Country of Origin: America

Parts Preferences: AMD or Intel I'm open to whichever, mid tower case(I heard good stuff about the HAF 922 but I like the look of Antec's 900 series), 21"-24" LCD, I don't game so as for a mouse and keyboard I want something comfortable I kinda like ergonomic mice.

Overclocking: Yes but nothing too extreme

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments:
I have an HD camcorder and this computer needs to work well with it. Since HD video takes up a lot of room I'd like a terabyte or so of HDD space.
My friend says to get the AMD 955 and that seem like a good route but I've always had Intel so whatever you guys think is best for my needs.
I really want reliability so if I have to pay more then thats fine with me.

I'm willing to buy parts whenever even now if its a good deal(I know Newegg has their Black November thing).

I know I was specific in some areas and maybe I missed some details in others so if you have any questions just ask.
November 8, 2010 2:26:20 AM

AMD is generally the better value on the low end, but doesn't really compete in the high end. Assuming your Video editing software doesn't support GPU acceleration (CUDA, OpenG) your CPU will be the most important part of your system. If it does support CUDA, you'll want to get the 470GTX, and a 955.

You basically have 3 choices here:

1) spend the full $1000 and get a nice intel system built around a i7 950 or 875k

2) spend around $700 on a lower performing 955 system

3) Wait 2 months and buy sandy bridge.

Let us know if your software supports CUDA, and waiting is an option.
m
l
November 8, 2010 2:34:36 AM

Honestly I haven't edited any of my beautiful HD video I shot yet because I just started. What is some good software, and it doesn't need to be really fancy or expensive.
As for waiting, I could but two months seems to be like a long time to wait, so I'd rather pull the trigger sooner than later, but if its significant then sure.
Now whats sandy bridge? Remember I'm new at this.
m
l
Related resources
November 8, 2010 3:05:48 AM

Intel's new chipset which = new CPU's. and they are bragging there *cough* pants off about it..
m
l
November 8, 2010 3:18:06 AM

Should I wait till then because I really don't need this now?
How much will the i7s price go down? Enough to put it in my price range?
m
l
November 8, 2010 3:35:02 AM

only time will tell. but wait if you can.
m
l
!