jtr1888

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Decided to build my own pc, after waiting for all components, Ive now, well from 6am this morning, decided to bench test & it aint bloody working

Asus Cross Hair IV Formula Mobo
Phenom II X6 1090T CPU
HD6950 GPU
2x2GB G Skillz F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL DDR3 1600 CL 9-9-9-24 1.5v RAM (all info due to problem)
Corsair TX850 V2 850W PSU
Coolermaster 212 Plus HSF

Upon wiring up outside case this morning, I turned on the power for the 1st time, lights lit up, oooh, excitement I thought until I pushed the start key

1 quick red LED lit on the CPU LED on mobo, then the red LED on the DRAM lit up & stayed on permanent, the HSF did 1 rotation & stopped, fan on gpu spinning no probs

If I put hsf connection onto any other fan header, it works just fine

Ive searched for hours trying to find a problem, they all seem to be a bit different & none of the remedies seem to fix mine

ie

Ive removed HSF & CPU blown it, inspected it, whispered & prayed to it put it back, same problem

Ive CMOS'ed it with & without cell battery in, same problem

Ive tried 1 stick or RAM in every slot, Ive tried 2 sticks in every slot, nothing, nada zilch, same problem

Short of crying my eyes out, can any1 please help

I am tired & stressed, gonna walk the dog for 30 mins, hopefully I'll calm down & return to someone trying to help me, please

Lee

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Tried reseating the cpu, check for bent pins etc?

Sounds like CPU form the info. (Memory controller is on chip, so Ram won't go anywhere also)

No easy way to check a cpu (and I'm not familiar with AMD kit), got any friends with a am3/+ m/b to test?

jtr1888

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Hi, back from my walk, longer coz I went to the pub, man Im still stressed

Answers to above

Yes, all power cables in correctly, 2 x 6pin PCI-E to gpu, 1 x 8 pin & 1 x 24 pin to mobo

No standoffs as not in case yet, this is a bench test

Yes, read that instruction link b4 originally posted, all present & correct

AMD, yes, I know boo hoo

Helppppppppppppppppppp

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

This isnt one of those probs where you need to update the bios before using that cpu is it

Try the stock HSF, and the F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL aren't meant for the AMD. Pull, if connected, all of the headers (USB, Audio, Front Panel).

Often a problem with the CM 212+ is Metal <=> MOBO contact and the MOBO's is shorted; I always use thin plastic washers to insulated. Example:

Screw -> | Backplate | Plastic Washer | [MOBO] | Plastic Washer | Standoff...

jtr1888

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

ok, thats a thought, I'll try stock CPU although Ive not connected ay headers other than the hsf as its not in case

thanks, its worth a go

jtr1888

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

well I got a little further, the stock hsf rotates but still no beep from speaker & still no video & still solid red LED on DRAM

could this be memory then, ie wrong type?

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Just got an idea. Some motherboards will refuse to run if the fan at the rear of the case is not plugged in to the pins specifically allocated for it. Bust open your motherboard manual and take a look to see if this is the case.

wow you learn something everyday

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
have u tried the ram in different stock and with just one stick, some mobos refuse to run with sum makes of ram. i had one that hated OCZ then i put corsair in n it worked

/You can indeed run the MOBO outside its case/

Try the 2nd PCIe slot for the GPU. The (2) red LED's concern me CPU/DRAM. Try the MemOK with (1) stick of RAM in various DIMM slots; any should work according the manual. Upon powering up press the 'Go Button' as shown on page 2-42.

Switches, make certain they're all off and XXO - Clear CMOS is in its Default position.

Often people assume they Cleared CMOS but didn't do it correctly; see -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

jtr1888

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Firstly I only have 2 stick ddr2 both new & the same

With regards to cmos, yes, I did do i right, well I didnt turn the battery but I have now & still nothing

When pressimg go button, I still get single DRAM LED then it stops, cpu led flashes twice as if rebooting & then solid DRAM again, does this about 4 times then just solid DRAM

Tried this with 1 stick at a time in all 4 slots, still nothing

jtr1888

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
oh, tried card in all 4 slots too, no difference.

With regards to the switches xxo, presume when they are up & white theyre off & when down & red theyre on, if so, theyre off, if not, theyre on lol

jtr1888

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Only other PSU I have wouldnt be enought to power the card as its only a 300w one.

Is it worth linking the power unit to the pc Im on now, Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHz 3GB DDR2 Win Vista 32 with HD2600XT GPU ??

G

I had the same problem...........my mobo was'nt grounded properly. :/

I'd try the simplest first, the 2600XT.

I tend to agree with @4745454b regarding the MOBO, but the only way to know 100% is to replace the 'parts' with know good ones. The 300W should be plenty for testing.