Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need advice on a budget computer for source games.

Last response: in Systems
November 8, 2010 2:34:39 AM

Approximate Purchase Date:Sometime in December

Budget Range: 500-700$

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Surfing the web, music

Parts Not Required: Unfortunately I'm starting fresh :/ 

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com

Country of Origin: United States

Parts Preferences: I have no preference since I don't have enough knowledge to create an opinion yet lol

Overclocking:No

Monitor Resolution: Any

Additional Comments: I don't need a computer thats too demanding. I'm really going to be using this for all the source games ( I.E Counter-strike: Source ) The most demanding one probably being Garry's Mod.

Sorry for the lack of information, I am VERY new to this and have close to no knowledge on where to start :/ 
November 8, 2010 2:52:35 AM

I would probably recommend waiting until a couple weeks before you plan on purchasing. A month in computer parts times is a long time, and prices and products will change in that time.

Does your budget include a monitor, and an OS? If so, you are looking at about $500 for the tower, with $200 invested into a monitor and windows 7 (fyi).
m
l
November 8, 2010 3:21:23 AM

Transmaniacon said:
I would probably recommend waiting until a couple weeks before you plan on purchasing. A month in computer parts times is a long time, and prices and products will change in that time.

Does your budget include a monitor, and an OS? If so, you are looking at about $500 for the tower, with $200 invested into a monitor and windows 7 (fyi).

well I don't really plan on purchasing until black Friday or cyber Monday anyways.
Also, my budget does include the OS and monitor. Unfortunatly money is a little tight right now :/ 
m
l
Related resources
November 8, 2010 4:50:40 AM

The good thing is, for source games you don't need to spend a lot to get great performance. Something like a AMD Athlon II X3 and an ATI HD5670 would be plenty for your needs.

m
l

Best solution

November 8, 2010 5:46:47 AM

$689AR
November 8, 2010 5:27:10 PM

Best answer selected by oolawloo.
m
l
November 9, 2010 3:29:03 AM

Yep happy shopping/building and cheers ^^
m