Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB vs 512MB

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 17, 2010 3:00:01 PM

I was looking for another xfx geforce 8800 gts 640MB card for SLI when I checked the charts and noticed that the 512MB version performed better in the charts I looked at. I can't read a lot out of them, and when I chose the card a couple of years back I mostly looked for a popular and stable card. But I don't see a difference between the card except for higher memory, and I would expect that was a good thing.

Could someone explain?
a b Î Nvidia
September 17, 2010 3:04:20 PM

They use a different processor. The 512mb card is much faster.
September 17, 2010 3:07:18 PM

jyjjy said:
They use a different processor. The 512mb card is much faster.


OK thanks!
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
September 17, 2010 3:09:44 PM

BTW as they use a different processor you cannot use one in SLI with your current card. You would most likely be better off just buying a new single card than SLIing you 8800GTS 640mb.
September 17, 2010 5:05:22 PM

I'm starting to realizing that, thanks for confirming that, I will start looking at options.
a b Î Nvidia
September 17, 2010 5:25:00 PM

What is you monitor's native resolution? Also what processor and power supply are you using?
September 17, 2010 6:31:58 PM

jyjjy said:
What is you monitor's native resolution? Also what processor and power supply are you using?


You're very helpful, thanks for this. I was mostly looking around for fun, not a lot of money right now. But 'm not turning down help that might be helpful in a near future.

1680x1050 (but I'm actually looking at something in the full-HD department, you know, while I'm fantasizing)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.67GHz 1333Mhz
500W

Thanks again.
a b Î Nvidia
September 17, 2010 8:11:02 PM

Something like this would be quite good for your resolution;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It is approximately twice as fast as your current card, DX11 and actually uses significantly less power, especially at idle.
Your processor is getting a lil weak these days but actually is still decent if you can overclock it. On just the stock cooler you should be able to get it up to 3.3-3.5ghz and then it is fine.
September 17, 2010 8:35:22 PM

jyjjy said:
Something like this would be quite good for your resolution;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It is approximately twice as fast as your current card, DX11 and actually uses significantly less power, especially at idle.
Your processor is getting a lil weak these days but actually is still decent if you can overclock it. On just the stock cooler you should be able to get it up to 3.3-3.5ghz and then it is fine.


Thank you very much, I'm putting it on my wish list.
a b Î Nvidia
September 17, 2010 8:50:01 PM

Well keep in mind that's just the best deal I'm seeing at the moment. When you are actually ready to buy something come back and ask again because the best choice may be different by then.
September 17, 2010 9:01:20 PM

Follow up question.
I use XFX motherboard and graphics cards, is there a big difference between the XFX and SAPPHIRE card because I would prefer to stick with XFX if there isn't.
a b Î Nvidia
September 17, 2010 9:08:27 PM

It's cheaper. You'll gain no advantage from using an XFX card even if the motherboard is made by them.
!