Sign in with
Your question

Trouble Installing Intel Stock Pushpin Cooler

Last response: in CPUs
February 2, 2011 9:18:33 AM

Hello,
When installing an i3-540, had some trouble with the stock intel pushpin heatsink/cooler.
Prior to installing, and since it's my first time installing one, i resorted to an online guide that instructed to push the opposing pins 2 by 2. Intel's guide instructed to push the pins 1 by 1 in an X like manor.
I couldn't do it neither way. When pushing 2 pins at once, it wouldn't work and i'd be afraid of breaking the MoBo or CPU. When pushing 1 by 1, the opposing pin would automatically get lodged in at times, or the cooler would get tilted and i'd have to rotate the black notch and pull up the pushed pin (then of course reset the notch).
Finally, after a mix of all possible push order and combination, i think i managed to get the cooler installed and well fixed in its place. All sides are well stable, and it doesn't seem to move a bit.
Problem is however, i had to partially install and remove the cooler several times (around 5). With each trial, some of the compound shipped on the cooler (the 3 stripes) would stick on the top of the CPU. Now according to basic logic, that shouldn't be a problem since the whole point of the compound is to form a heat transfer means between the CPU and heatsink. However, i have read in countless tutorials that each time one removes a heatsink, both it and the top of the CPU should be cleaned with alcohol and thermal paste should be reapplied. Is that necessary in my case? I have not yet powered the system and the CPU/heatsink haven't yet heated up once.
So what should i do? Not very crazy about removing/cleaning/reapplying paste, plus where i live, i can't seem to find any in local computer shops. Most people installing CPUs use toothpaste here!!
Should i go for it and power it up? Or is it a must to redo the whole installation??
Waiting for your opinion.
a c 120 à CPUs
February 2, 2011 10:54:29 AM

As long as the heatsink is now properly seated i would try it out.
Download Realtemp to monitor your temps.
Anything in the 30C's would be fine when idling.
February 3, 2011 9:12:04 AM

Well, i tried it with only the CPU, MoBo and Ram connected, CPU temp in BIOS went from 26C at start to 30C~31C after around 30 mins of monitoring in BIOS.
With PCI-E graphics card, 1 DVDRW and 1 HDD connected, still idling in BIOS, temps reached around 35C~36C. Should i assume it's all OK?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2011 10:50:51 AM

Those temps are fine.
Load windows and check while running Prime 95,OCCT,Intel Burn test or other programs that will load the cpu to 100%.
Monitor temps with CPUID Hardware monitor,Speedfan, Coretemp etc..
February 3, 2011 1:55:39 PM

Unolocogringo said:
Those temps are fine.
Load windows and check while running Prime 95,OCCT,Intel Burn test or other programs that will load the cpu to 100%.
Monitor temps with CPUID Hardware monitor,Speedfan, Coretemp etc..

For how long should i keep the CPU at 100% load? And what temps would be normal?
a c 120 à CPUs
February 3, 2011 2:48:10 PM

Makaveli84 said:
Well, i tried it with only the CPU, MoBo and Ram connected, CPU temp in BIOS went from 26C at start to 30C~31C after around 30 mins of monitoring in BIOS.
With PCI-E graphics card, 1 DVDRW and 1 HDD connected, still idling in BIOS, temps reached around 35C~36C. Should i assume it's all OK?

That's great with the stock cooler.
No problems those temps are excellent.
You really shouldn't have to worry yourself with prime95.
I wouldn't bother.Just continue to monitor your temps with Realtemp.
:) 
February 3, 2011 3:15:04 PM

davcon said:
That's great with the stock cooler.
No problems those temps are excellent.
You really shouldn't have to worry yourself with prime95.
I wouldn't bother.Just continue to monitor your temps with Realtemp.
:) 

That's good news. I'm kind of reassured now!
Anyways, will try max loading the CPU just for the hack of it.. Thx for the help.
a c 120 à CPUs
February 3, 2011 6:41:18 PM

Makaveli84 said:
That's good news. I'm kind of reassured now!
Anyways, will try max loading the CPU just for the hack of it.. Thx for the help.

IntelBurn 2.5 is quick and easy to use for piece of mind.
!