Windows detected a hard disk problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rowdymoody

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Hello, I just built a new PC this last weekend. Everything seemed to have been going beautifully, but I thought it seemed a tad bit slow loading up windows, after it boots up and loads everything seems to be perfectly normal though.

Then today, I get home from work, and my girlfriend told me that the computer has been constantly popping up this error message window, I turned the computer on and as soon as it booted the error popped up.

It says "Windows detected a hard disk problem. Back up your files immediately to prevent information loss, and then contact computer manufacturer to determine if you need to repair or replace the disk." Then it gives me options to backup, or ask again later.

The hard drive is brand new, I just built this rig this last weekend. I just finally finished getting all of my games, programs, music, all that crap on it. I would hate to have to send it back for RMA with it being so new.

I just don't know what I should do at this point, I ran a quick scan for malware and there was no detections. Is there some sort of scanner I can download to verify that the hard drive is failing?

The hard drive is a Seagate Baracuda 500gb drive, it is the only drive I have in the PC.

I need a little advice here. Thanks a lot for any thoughts or input on the matter!

Solution
That's some bad luck. The Best thing you can do is use seagate's tools to check the disk.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Wish you the best of luck as I've had the same problem with a seagate drive. I made the switch to a 500gb western digital black and it's been going 6 years strong now.
Well obviously just back up your files and run a disk check.

Start menu>Computer> (Right click the C: drive or HDD thats giving errors)> Properties>Tools> Error Checking then run a check now.

Also check for fragmentation.

rowdymoody

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Thanks for your response. I ran a disk check but after the computer rebooted it never gave me a log file or anything whatsoever. I selcted the "automatically fix file system errors option. Do I need to check the "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" option?

And I hate to sound like captain obvious here, but wouldn't backing everything up be pointless if the only drive I have is the one that is failing? I don't have an external hard drive or anything : / I don't really have anything important on here, just things I spent a pretty good deal of time downloading and installing and such. But nothing I absolutely CANT lose.

Unless he has a few CD's, he's already stated he has nothing to back up data on. He also said he isn't worried about loosing stuff

That's some bad luck. The Best thing you can do is use seagate's tools to check the disk.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Wish you the best of luck as I've had the same problem with a seagate drive. I made the switch to a 500gb western digital black and it's been going 6 years strong now.

Solution

Chkdsk puts it log in the event viewer. I can't remember if it's in the application log or the system log, but it's definately in the event viewer.

As stated, run seatools. If it reports a problem seagate will honor the warranty. Normally in a situation like this, you would want to back up all your data immediately, but since you say there are no important files, don't worry about it.

mavroxur

Distinguished

Fragmentation has absolutely nothing to do with the error message he is receiving.

I have a HDD in my rig. My computer froze and locked up. Defragged and the issue went away? So your telling me defrag doesn't do ***.. cool story

mavroxur

Distinguished

No, i'm saying a fragmented file system won't cause your system to report a hard disk failure. Lrn2tech.

well its still worth a check, doesnt matter anyways because his HDD is messed up so checking it for errors and stuff is irrelevant now because he just needs to get a new HDD

nill nills

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013

**************************************************************************************************************
Window hard disk Error "Windows detected a hard disk problem"

Try this..........

START> Type "gpedit.msc" then enter. "Local Group Policy" windows appear.
Click>>>> Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Trouble Shooting and Diagnostic\Disk Diagnostic: Configure custom alert text : Setting. "Disk Diagnostic" windows appear. Disable the state.... also .. Disk Diagnostic:Diagnostic execution level : Setting. "Disk Diagnostic" windows appear. Disable the state....

COLLINBL :)

magnesiumk

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Dude, I work at a department with over 200 computers, and we have an advanced anti virus program here. When I saw that, I had never seen that on a computer before. So, I checked our antivirus program, and it detected a worm. It's likely that a virus (worm) is slowing down your computer. Run a virus scan on it, and let me know what you find!

blumjay

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014

I'm working on a computer that has this right now. It's not a Windows message.The first giveaway is the red x. The red x isn't one of the Windows graphics, it must have been drawn by the guy who wrote the viris. The event log has no entries of hard drive failure.

I'm going to try Malwarebytes

rowdymoody

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
I know that this is an old thread, but I noticed that people are still posting on this thread. I did get the problem solved after using the Seagate tools to check the disk, as suggested in my selected best solution. Turned out that I just so happened to get a factory lemon hard drive. Sent it in for warranty, they sent me a new one. Presto, not a problem since ;)

Are you sure that they sent you a new one? Every seagate drive I've returned got me a refurbished one back, and that's a large sample size.

Akademixx

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014

Nills this is Exactly what i was looking for! THANKS!

faust67

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
run a test on the hard drive. windows 7 has s.m.a.r.t monitoring abilities so by turning off that message you are asking for trouble. All hard drive makers have diagnostic tools to test hard drives. PC Doctor was a great set of utilities that sadly has gone to the wayside. You can still find it and make a bootable cd/usb that can boot up and allow testing.

Shame on you Nills... Turning off that message is not a fix but a diversion awaiting disaster.

izi

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015

yes, just wanted the nag shutoff, when it fails it fails.

oxytec

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
run a test on the hard drive. windows 7 has s.m.a.r.t monitoring abilities so by turning off that message you are asking for trouble. All hard drive makers have diagnostic tools to test hard drives. PC Doctor was a great set of utilities that sadly has gone to the wayside. You can still find it and make a bootable cd/usb that can boot up and allow testing.

Shame on you Nills... Turning off that message is not a fix but a diversion awaiting disaster.

that monitoring gives alot of false positives
ive been running 2HDD's that had a message come up about failure imminent ... that was 2years ago and they both still work fine

Status
Not open for further replies.