bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Question....

Has anyone seen or built themselves an AMD Opteron gaming rig? I am asking this because I have seen some pretty nice builds involving Intel Xeons and I am really curious.

I have tried some quick searching and so far I am very disappointed in the results of trying to find a high-end motherboard for Opterons in what would be a gaming environment. Example....EVGA has the SR-2 which is an outstanding board....but is for Xeons. Does anything exist for Opterons on the same level?

1st off: games aren;t even quadcore optimised as yet....

The Game Rundown: Finding CPU/GPU Bottlenecks, Part 2
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bottleneck,2738-16.html
Conclusion: A Trend Toward 3+ Cores

The average optimal number of CPU cores suggested by the test results is 2.75, showing a clear trend towards at least three CPU cores.The question of whether the CPU or GPU is most important is easily answered. If you don't have a multi-core CPU, then upgrade it. If you have a dual-core CPU at around 3 GHz, then invest your money into a graphics card, as most games are GPU-limited. This is not something that will change with new DirectX 11 games.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

When I created this thread I was really hoping that this type of lame comment would come later in the day. I was even thinking about placing a disclaimer in the original text but thought against it because I didn't want to bait some troll...."welllll....you shouldn't build something like that because....blah...blah....blahhhhh" :cry:

1st off....I never asked about software and the optimized use of multi-core cpus. That is a different thread. I already understand this logic because I am not ignorant.

I am merely posing a question about an AMD showing in a multi-cpu arena that seems to only be optioned to Xeons.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

Well thank you for once again being such a wealth of useful information. Thank you for once again wasting time and pointing out your link in the previous post because it has nothing to do with my inquiry.

We are so lucky to have you on here to pass judgment on everyone seeing how you obviously have all the knowledge about everything in the world and if you deem something inappropriate then we should as well.

You obviously have some deep seated issues if you have to laugh at someone else because they do not agree with you. THANK GOD your "peeps" have you around to be such a great "peep" to them because they deserve to bask in your great "peepiness".

Since you are obviously having a hard time grasping the original statement let me try this again at a 3rd grade level.

I have seen a lot of custom (will usually cost more than your emachine) rigs that are playing around with multi cpus. All of these have been based on Xeons as there are obviously more motherboards that have been built for that platform.

Now, all these individuals understand that not all software is written to fully utilize multi-core / cpu platforms but it's still something they would like to create.

I guess one could point to the person who climbs mountains and ask "Why?" and the proverbial answer is "Because it is there."

Why does someone build a 1000+ HP engine in a car they drive on the street? The roads are not really built to handle a car with that much power so why do it?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1553590

Here is the recent custom rig that really got me thinking about why is this not available in the AMD crowd. I guess we are suppose to all track down this guy and laugh at him.

"Does anything exist for Opterons on the same level?"

Will some other AMD enthusiasts please speak up and at least make some intelligent posts. I am suffering here. :pfff:

i looked and i can't find an equivalent to the SR2 for the opterons, though that is just looking at newegg so you would have to put up with low core speed which would more than likely hurt the gaming experience

though if you are thinking of doing this i would hope you do something that can utilize that much cpu power

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

It isn't really too much about actually building it (maybe), its a wondering if AMD will ever be represented in the "over the top" arena such as this. I have seen a small handful of "enthusiast" boards that allow some outrageous builds using Xeons but everything I have come across for AMD are more straight and narrow server boards where you could not even run a decent Crossfire setup much less 3X or 4X.

ahhh, well you would be surprised that most of the server boards that have more than one pci-e x16 mechanical (could be x8 or x4 electrical) support crossfire on an AMD chipset (namely the G34 socket) and the socket 1207's with the NV chipset support sli

though there is nothing over the top like the SR2 for the extreme enthusiasts for opterons

The thing is, server chips aren't good for gaming; they handle information differently than standard computer CPUs, which is why servers are better at number crunching as opposed to the more random processes a gaming CPU will encounter.

There isn't really a market for it because few people will really buy it for that purpose. It is possible to do it (like you've mentioned with the dual Xeon rigs you've mentioned), but I think it's all about economics; it's not really a huge seller so companies are less likely to cater to the very few who do want the product.

Plus, why not spend that money on something a little more 'useful' in gaming, like GTX 580s in 4-way SLI? ;)

threehosts

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
I'm sorry for reviving an old thread here but I actually think that one shouldn't dismiss server grade hardware as being bad for gaming right away. A server CPU is designed for handling many simultaneous threads and conduct many parallel operations. So in practice that may make it useless for an ordinary game that shines best on a strong number-crunching CPU/GPU based system.

But for games that have a more advanced AI on the other hand, this type of hardware configuration would be very beneficial. So by letting the many cores with even more threads (SMT/hyperthreading) run the AI of a whole army of intelligent enemies that together interact strategically to make life harder for you you would make an awesome gaming experience.

AI doesn't necessarily need to mean the intelligence of a friend or a foe, it could also mean the behaviour of a dead object or a particle system. If physics and particle systems could be seamlessly broken up into threads then that would also motivate using a larger server type system to run the game and handle a vast number of parallel calls generated by the individual threads that run the intelligence and physics of the vast number of objects/actors that move in the game.

A typical game that would benefit from such a configuration would then be Skyrim, although as it is now the AI in it is goddamn awful.

How cool wouldn't it be to have real WATER that splashes and interacts with the actors following the REAL Navier-Stokes equations? I have not yet seen this in a computer game and it would certainly add to the realism of the game.

mallachin

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
Some opterons are pretty reasonable-ish price with a screaming low TDP, currently. I was posed the question by a friend to build an opteron-based system for my own uses. My workload typically uses the full multithreading capability of a system, so I have the motivation. And given that AMD isn't releasing an enthusiast chip for a long time, I'm soooooorely tempted to do this, as a means of an upgrade.

As for gaming, I'm looking into it. As one astute observer mentioned above, the real benefit would be for games that multithread. Or if you are like me and you are typically playing a game, while running multiple processes in the background -- you probably wouldn't experience any hitch in the game. I already have that smooth experience with my 8-core FX chip. And I'm pretty-much calculating the GDP of China in the background while I'm blasting aliens. Sometimes on the daily lol

Gaming aside, the entire software industry is slowly going to multithreaded programs being the norm, rather than the exception or the minority (including big game studios... in fact, they are already there). I think ideas such as building server-based gaming rigs will gain more traction if software generally becomes more demanding of system resources. If software doesn't, then I think enthusiast chips will basically be the sweet spot for gaming.

All in all, with the current state of software and hardware, I'd say that using an opteron probably won't help you, but it also won't degrade your performance. It may actually increase it, depending on the game.

Damien Gates

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2013
Im Extremely busy with work and when ii get free time i Only game and ill try to upload benches if i can. but its 2015 and i have many custom builds especially for work but i got a deal on 2 very old opteron 6172 cpu and set it up on an asus kgpe d16 mobo. slapped on an old xfx hd7970 ghz edition. i never play with settings down. only max. with fxaa on 1080p. witcher 3, gta v, and evolve play well above 30fps. using one of the fury x at work ... well thats another story.

games as of now are far better optimized for multi core systems vs before. I wont justify a build like this for mainly gaming even if its cheap, .but as far as performance goes you wont be bottlenecked. especially if you shoot for a 62-6300 series opteron. playing older games might hurt. but then again if you have a newer gen gpu i dont think so. I MADE THIS BUILD and other dual opteron/xeon builds for work and sometimes just for F**KS sake. they are awesome. if you want something prebuilt have a look at AVADIRECT