Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will drivers remain when migrating OS to SSD?

Last response: in Storage
February 19, 2013 1:00:48 AM

I just bought an SSD and want to migrate my os to it. I downloaded aomei free edition and think i understand how to use it (its pretty straight forward). My concern is that when i migrate my OS (Windows 7) to the SSD, will my motherboard, chipset, and GPU drivers remain, or will i have to reinstall those necessary drivers. Also, one thing that popped into my head, will i have to format the SSD before i migrate my OS? Come to think of it, i should have just bought the SSD from the beginning. Btw, i hope im in the right forum lol. Thanks for any input, hope i explained myself sufficiently.
a b \ Driver
a c 85 G Storage
February 19, 2013 1:36:42 AM

Yes, when you clone the image from your HDD to your SSD, everything that is there now will be cloned.

However, for best performance, you would be better off performing a clean install and then installing only those apps that can benefit from the SSD boost on the SSD and the others to the HDD.
February 19, 2013 1:53:28 AM

i would like to do a clean install of windows but i bought the OEM version. I see your point tho. Im not cloning the whole HDD, just the OS (im using Aomei Migrate OS to SSD). As long as i use the Aomei software to migrate the OS, will my system suffer in performance? i just dont want to totally screw up my system.
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a c 85 G Storage
February 19, 2013 10:58:11 AM

The OEM license is tied to the motherboard, not the HDD. So, you can use the same license.

I have 2 systems with SSDs. One cloned. One clean install. Performance is indistinguishable.

Best solution

a c 351 G Storage
February 19, 2013 11:13:49 AM

The two programs I use are EASYUS and EZ-Gig.
Yes, when Migratiing, all installed drivers are transfer, even if incorrect. Programs are transfered.

.. If The HDD is larger than the SSD the Program must re-size the partition.
.. The program must re-align the partition CORRECTLY.
.. The program should enable trim, but can do it manually.

Comment on drivers - If your HDD OS was installed with the BIOS set to IDE, that is what will be transfered - NOT GOOD.
Ideally you want the Bios set to AHCI and the ahci driver installed. You can correct this FIRST, or after migrating.
SEE: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
If set to IDE, select either "fix it for me" or "let me fix it myself".

After SSD is set up, download and run AS SSD to verify
Driver : does NOT show pcide = BAD"
Partition alignment = "OK"
Also it will show FW, It is best to se the Latest Fimware.

Also make sure that defrag is DISABLED.

Personnally I recommend a Clean Install over migration from a HDD->SSD. Migrating a SSD -> a SSD is FINE.
In addition to correctly aligning the Partition, Trim will be enabled, PLUS you end up with a FRESH, clean Registry - Much better than running CCleaner. And yes the OEM version is fine for doing a Clean Install.

February 19, 2013 3:01:09 PM

thank you for the replies, they definitely help me understand things better. I think ill go with the clean install.
February 19, 2013 3:01:18 PM

Best answer selected by jayerick24.
!