Intel Smart Response Technology (SSD Caching).

I had an inquiry regarding which SSD would be best for Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT).

Currently, I am using an Intel X25-M 80GB SATA2 SSD as an SSD cache for the main HDD. As this is only an SATA2 SSD, I came to the epiphany that I would see a large improvement if I moved up to a SATA3 (60/64GB) SSD.

My questions are related to which SSD would be most effective in this specific task.
- I know read speeds are important for SSD caching, how important are the write speeds?
- How much difference can I expect with asynchronous vs synchronous NAND?
- Is the Sandforce-2281 controller a good choice? or should I go with something that doesn't rely on compressible data?

Basically, I'm looking/hoping for a low-cost solution (ie. OCZ Agility 3 or OCZ Agility 4 or something equivalent in terms of pricing -- $0.50/GB).
No hating on OCZ please, I've had only positive experiences with them.

Thanks.

PC SPECS:
CPU: Intel Core i3-2120
MOBO: Gigabyte Z68 motherboard w/ SATA3 ports
HDD: WDC Caviar Blue 500GB SATA3
SSD: Intel X25-M 80GB SATA2 (looking to upgrade)
4 answers Last reply
More about intel smart response technology caching
  1. I'm in the exact same position you are. Hoping to see some responses. I've got the same SSD, about to order parts for a new system and trying to figure how best to use it.
  2. I've got 4 pc's with ssd's and the sandforce based patriot pyro 64gb in one of my htpc's boots even faster than my pc with two samsung 830-128gb'ss in raid0. It scores a lowly 245mb/s read in AS SSD compared to 450 for another htpc w/one samsung 830-128gb and both htpc's run the same software.

So given my experience, I don't think you see a noticible difference unless your current ssd is unusually slow.
  3. popatim said:
    I've got 4 pc's with ssd's and the sandforce based patriot pyro 64gb in one of my htpc's boots even faster than my pc with two samsung 830-128gb'ss in raid0. It scores a lowly 245mb/s read in AS SSD compared to 450 for another htpc w/one samsung 830-128gb and both htpc's run the same software.

So given my experience, I don't think you see a noticible difference unless your current ssd is unusually slow.

I see. Sandforce is unusually fast, isn't it. The Samsung's should be more reliable and consistent with it's read/write speeds though.

I've come bearing updates to this dilemma. I switched out the Intel 80GB X25-M SSD and swapped in a Samsung 840 120GB SSD-- I noticed a slight bump in boot up speeds; so there is a noticeable difference, albeit not drastic. I chose a 120GB SSD for the sake of allowing for room for proper wear levelling and TRIM... Intel SRT puts out alot of writes sometimes, apparently. I guess the jump from SATA2 to SATA3 speeds is worth the upgrade.

PS. wow. I've been away from Tomshardware for far too long.
  4. Does anyone know if Intel SRT is supposed to be write intensive?

I used SSD life to check the wear on my old Intel X25-M G2, came up to about 2500GB in the span of 6 months. I know this one uses 34nm MLC flash so I'm not that worried... I'm worried about the Samsung 840 which uses 21nm TLC flash... which should have a noticeable shorter lifespan under heavy write environments... Any insight?
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Cache Intel Storage