Sign in with
Your question

Intel Smart Response Technology (SSD Caching).

Last response: in Storage
February 19, 2013 1:05:17 AM

I had an inquiry regarding which SSD would be best for Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT).

Currently, I am using an Intel X25-M 80GB SATA2 SSD as an SSD cache for the main HDD. As this is only an SATA2 SSD, I came to the epiphany that I would see a large improvement if I moved up to a SATA3 (60/64GB) SSD.

My questions are related to which SSD would be most effective in this specific task.
- I know read speeds are important for SSD caching, how important are the write speeds?
- How much difference can I expect with asynchronous vs synchronous NAND?
- Is the Sandforce-2281 controller a good choice? or should I go with something that doesn't rely on compressible data?

Basically, I'm looking/hoping for a low-cost solution (ie. OCZ Agility 3 or OCZ Agility 4 or something equivalent in terms of pricing -- $0.50/GB).
No hating on OCZ please, I've had only positive experiences with them.

Thanks.

PC SPECS:
CPU: Intel Core i3-2120
MOBO: Gigabyte Z68 motherboard w/ SATA3 ports
HDD: WDC Caviar Blue 500GB SATA3
SSD: Intel X25-M 80GB SATA2 (looking to upgrade)
March 5, 2013 6:27:09 PM

I'm in the exact same position you are. Hoping to see some responses. I've got the same SSD, about to order parts for a new system and trying to figure how best to use it.
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 812 G Storage
March 5, 2013 6:56:48 PM

I've got 4 pc's with ssd's and the sandforce based patriot pyro 64gb in one of my htpc's boots even faster than my pc with two samsung 830-128gb'ss in raid0. It scores a lowly 245mb/s read in AS SSD compared to 450 for another htpc w/one samsung 830-128gb and both htpc's run the same software.

So given my experience, I don't think you see a noticible difference unless your current ssd is unusually slow.
m
l
Related resources
August 5, 2013 11:02:04 AM

popatim said:
I've got 4 pc's with ssd's and the sandforce based patriot pyro 64gb in one of my htpc's boots even faster than my pc with two samsung 830-128gb'ss in raid0. It scores a lowly 245mb/s read in AS SSD compared to 450 for another htpc w/one samsung 830-128gb and both htpc's run the same software.

So given my experience, I don't think you see a noticible difference unless your current ssd is unusually slow.

I see. Sandforce is unusually fast, isn't it. The Samsung's should be more reliable and consistent with it's read/write speeds though.

I've come bearing updates to this dilemma. I switched out the Intel 80GB X25-M SSD and swapped in a Samsung 840 120GB SSD-- I noticed a slight bump in boot up speeds; so there is a noticeable difference, albeit not drastic. I chose a 120GB SSD for the sake of allowing for room for proper wear levelling and TRIM... Intel SRT puts out alot of writes sometimes, apparently. I guess the jump from SATA2 to SATA3 speeds is worth the upgrade.

PS. wow. I've been away from Tomshardware for far too long.
m
l
August 7, 2013 6:27:14 AM

Does anyone know if Intel SRT is supposed to be write intensive?

I used SSD life to check the wear on my old Intel X25-M G2, came up to about 2500GB in the span of 6 months. I know this one uses 34nm MLC flash so I'm not that worried... I'm worried about the Samsung 840 which uses 21nm TLC flash... which should have a noticeable shorter lifespan under heavy write environments... Any insight?
m
l
!