Raid question

Googie55

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Hey folks, I was given an old intel server with (2) 3.0 xeon processors on an Intel se7520bd2 server board and a Megaraid150-6 raid card that will handle six physical sata drives. I have a 80 gig and 120 gig sata drive and set it up with the cards utility in raid 0 when I went to install windows XP pro It says it cant find drives. I clicked on F6 on setup but didnt have a discs to insert. The drivers for this card are 16mb so they wont fit on floppy anyways any ideas?? Any help would be appreciated. Thxs

Googie55

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

I tried using a flash drive with the drivers on them but with the windows xp sp2 disc I have it only asks for the A drive. If this doesnt work how do I get the drives back to normal?

Googie55

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Ok I tried to get cute and restore the drives to original condition (2 seperate drives) using the raid control panel, now when I booted the drive to install win XP pro I get invalid partition table . Is that the official way of telling me I screwed these drives???

popatim

Titan
you shouldnt need drivers since you have a dedicated raid card until after you get your OS installed. Did you allow the raid utility to initialize the array after you created it? Is the bios set to boot from the raid?

Googie55

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

I had it booting to the DVD because I was trying to install windows XP pro

Googie55

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Ok I gave up on the raid installation and card for now. The sever board I am using had 2 sata ports on the board itself so i installed Win XP on 1 of those . I would think that when I get some more storage HD's I will be able to use the raid card and it will be much easier. Yes?????

jupitor45424

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

I think you need to install raid before you install the OS or define raid in some way.

FireWire2

Distinguished

Yes you are right!... Install XP in one of the SATA port would make things much easier.

But I would recommend, you to use WinXP 64 or later.. Cuz XP limited storage at 2TB...
It means later on you want to expand your RAID volume to greater 2TB... you wont able to access it.

Once OS install - you consider to use SSD 40GB or 60GB.
You then install the RAID drivers