Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GTX 470 Super Overclock vs 5870 stock

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 17, 2010 6:35:55 PM

The reviews of the Gigabyte GTX 470 Super Overclock are all really good from what i have read... it runs faster, cooler, uses less power, and is quieter than the stock GTX 470.

After recently just looking at some benchmarks though, its pretty much the same as a stock HD5870

At the moment the prices are very close too...

Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC - $349.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Sapphire HD 5870 - $334.99 ($314.99 with MIR) (special ends on the 19th)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If i miss the special then the normal price of the other brands 5870 are still within $20-30. Which is not a big problem for me...

I'm assuming that since the Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC is slightly overclocked and has a custom cooler that it may not last as long as a stock reference 5870?

I don't plan on upgrading again for a few years so i'm looking for what will last the longest, give the most performance, and be the most 'futurproof' or w/e

Which should i choose D:

Note: I game at 1920 x 1080
a c 275 U Graphics card
a c 130 K Overclocking
September 17, 2010 7:04:24 PM

Check out the benchmarks for the games you play. Sometimes ati or nvidia will perform very differently.

They are both in the same performance tier.

The gigabyte warranty is 3 years vs 2 for the sapphire.

Go to the support forums for each to see which is more active and offers better support.

Any of the cards should last well past obsolesence.

If all else fails flip a coin.

Or... wait until fall and see what new announcements will be. Ati has some in the works, and I doubt that nvidia will stand by without a response.

m
l
a c 639 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2010 7:22:56 PM

Here is a great review of that Gigabyte GTX470 SOC. It is way better than the reference models, and depending on the game about as fast, or much faster than the 5870. It is also very quiet and much cooler than the reference model:

"We measure an excellent 39 DBa when the GPU is massively under stress. Under normal circumstances this means you cannot hear the cooler. We were shocked to find out how silent this card really is, truly amazing. If your PC is in IDLE or you are working in desktop mode then DBa levels drop back to 36~37 Dba, a noise level you will not be able to hear whatsoever either (of course)."
http://www.guru3d.com/article/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-470-...

If you are looking for "future proof", the big issue is DirectX11 tesselation, which the GTX470 does well, and the 5870 does not. Tesselation is a feature that will be more common in the future as more games adopt DirectX11. The following article explains the issue.
Quote: "The new DX 11 tessellation unit is programmable though two new shaders, the Domain and Hull shader. The higher the level of tessellation, the closer to realism the sharpness of the surface approaches. NVIDIA's HW Tesselation is implemented extremely well."
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-470-480-revie...

If you are buying now for the future, get the GTX470, and don't worry about the chip burning out over time. That Gigabyte Superoverclock uses much higher quality components to accommodate the factory overclock:
"One of the quality components of Ultra Durable VGA+ is GIGABYTE’s exclusive use of proadlizers. Unlike other leading brands that only use one proadlizer on their graphic cards, GIGABYTE generously uses five units of NEC Proadlizer®, also known as film capacitor, to provide amazing current capacity up to 5000uF and extremely low ESL/ESR for super overclocking ability. Five times the regular capacitance indicates the amount of electric energy stored is fivefold. By placing five proadlizers around GPU, electric currents are able to be charged and discharged rapidly to support super overclocking activity. The quintupled proadlizers transmit more stable power even during heavy loading."
m
l
!