Performance hit adding hd to two ssd's?

RememberThatGuy

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Hello
Seeking some advice as to the best option. i currently have a 120gb and a 60gb ssd in my system. I need to expand my storage. I'm not interested in raid. I'd like to add a 4tb(partitioned in half) or two 2tb internal hard drives. Will i see a Performance hit? noticeably Longer boot time etc? I think the ssd caching would be a no go b/c The speed of the platter drive is no matter as it will just be for video/large files... and i keep the ssd. If i was to see a large performance hit i'd go the root of an external 4tb box. so your thoughts?
If there was minimal if really any noticeable performance hit, would you recommend 1 4tb or 2 2tb drives? would be using to two sata2 ports, the 2 sata3 have the ssd's. any other thoughts would be great aswell!!

cuecuemore

Distinguished
I think you've got it pretty much figured out. If you're already booting off SSD then you shouldn't see a performance hit adding (a) storage drive(s). I would recommend two storage drives if you have the space, because then if you're ever doing I/O intensive stuff and need to be doing huge reads/writes of multiple large files or directories, you can do it twice as fast (not RAIDed, just by virtue of having two physical drives).

RememberThatGuy

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013

Thanks, I am gonna go the internal 2x2tb drives route. Just another question for advice, My only two sata 3 ports are taken by the ssd's. I may lose one to a new build down the road and open that port up. With that said should i consider purchasing sata 3 drives now. Use will be pic,video storage and viewing, no editing and such. I'll be using them on available sata 2 ports. So just for upgradability ? Do I even need sata 3 for movies viewing? I can get an enterprise sata 2 drive around the same cost. Do I even need an enterprise model? Do love my files though.... Thanks for your time!!!

popatim

Titan
mechanical hdd come with sata3 ports but thay still cannot transfer data fast enought to even saturate a sata2 port. You will be fine no matter which interface you put it on. The SSD's on the other hand, need the sata3 ports.