Time to upgrade Core 2 Duo for GTX 460?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kronick

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Hey hows everybody doing. Gotta question about buying a new GTX 460 1024 Superclocked.

I currently have an EVGA 9800 GTX+ 512 MB. Going to buy the GTX 460 but I am concerned about my processor bottle-necking. Is it recommended to upgrade to a quad core or can the core 2 duo handle the 460?. Specs are:

E8400 Core 2 Duo @ 3.0GHz
Asus P5ND 750i SLI
EVGA 9800 GTX+ 512 MB
Corsair 650W PSU

kronick

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Really? Wow i didn't think that processor could keep up. All I hear about is how awesome quad core is for gaming and all that, so I just assumed I needed a new one as well. Ill look into OC'ing it in the near future.

I usually play my games at 1440x900, which looks great. And my rig in its current state hasn't let me down once, ever. Play games like Warcraft, Call of Duty, Total War mostly at high settings.

Thanks for the replies!

Wamphryi

Distinguished
The i7 and i5 Quads are good for gaming due to Turbo Boost. The Core 2 Quad is superior to the Core 2 Duo in tasks such as Video Editing but it struggles a little bit with Single Thread applications which many games are. The Dual Core generally has a higher Clock Speed.

yanje03

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010

Your CPU should be fine, could get 80% power from 460. Enjoy Direct 11 with 460 next year. I hope more game could support Direct 11 soon. Tessellation is amazon when I compare Direct9/10 with 11 in Heaven benchmark.

For your resolution,you'll definitely see a performance boost with a faster CPU because low resolutions benefit more from a faster CPU compared to higher resolutions(which are more GPU limited).
Also games like Total war series benefit from a quad core CPU.
So overall,your CPU is fine but upgrading to a quad core will give you a good boost in performance.

kronick

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Awesome thanks for the replies guys. I feel a lot more confident purchasing the 460.

I'll definitely upgrade the CPU in the coming months Maziar, might as well get it out of the way.

I knew it was a good idea to ask you guys instead of some other amateurs on another forum. lol j/k.

Status
Not open for further replies.