Sign in with
Your question

Adding a 2nd graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 17, 2010 7:50:03 PM

I'm currently running two monitors off one pci-e graphics card. I would like to add a pci(only slot available) card for a third monitor. In regards to this, I have a few questions:

1) Will it work?
2) Should I select the same brand or a different brand of card? I've heard people say don't use Nvidia with Nvidia and that I should get an ATI, but then I've heard people say I *should* get another Nvidia.
3)Will the 2nd card slow down performance for my two monitors running off the first card?

Thanks.
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
a b Î Nvidia
September 17, 2010 7:57:42 PM

AFAIK, you can basically get any card as a second one so long as you don't expect them to work together. If it's purely to add a monitor for more working space it should work out fine whichever way you go.

Sticking with another NV card might reduce any problems, as you won't have 2 sets of conflicting display drivers or software. In NV control panel you just don't set it to SLI and you should basically be good to go.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 17, 2010 8:12:54 PM

spin1half said:
I'm currently running two monitors off one pci-e graphics card. I would like to add a pci(only slot available) card for a third monitor. In regards to this, I have a few questions:

1) Will it work?
2) Should I select the same brand or a different brand of card? I've heard people say don't use Nvidia with Nvidia and that I should get an ATI, but then I've heard people say I *should* get another Nvidia.
3)Will the 2nd card slow down performance for my two monitors running off the first card?

Thanks.

You've been listening to some very strange people. :lol: 
m
l
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
a b Î Nvidia
September 17, 2010 8:21:21 PM

If your motherboard has onboard graphics you should be able to use that to run a third monitor.
m
l
September 17, 2010 11:25:58 PM

Yeah, motherboard has onboard graphics but the BIOS won't allow it to run while discrete runs. Shame they write the BIOS that away, and that they do it that way with 90% of motherboards.
m
l
!