Installing an X2 5600+ in a Dell C521

-Church-

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
I seem to be having trouble installing my new CPU. It wont boot while the dual core is installed. The single core works fine. I do have the energy efficient version of the 5600+ so I doubt it's a power problem. Any ideas? I also have the latest BIOS but I'm starting to think that it flashed improperly, I've read stories of people using higher wattage dual cores on the stock PSU no problem.

-Church-

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
I tried that thread, sadly to no avail. I currently have a Sempron 3400+ (SDA3400IAA3CN) installed and I'm trying to install a AMD Athlon X2 5600+ (ADO5600IAA5DO). I've seen questions online before of people using these model processors, even the 89W version. The reason why I got the idea it wasn't flashed properly is because it reads unsupported system when I try to re-flash via the EXE given by Dell. I don't know how I would flash it with only an EXE, seeing as I'm going to have to use a boot-able media of some sort.

also flashing BIOS is tricky
I have owned many Dells and I am always a little scared when I flash.
It is always an exe file done in windows
all unnecessary usb devices besides keyboard and mouse should be removed.
also it is best done in stages v1.1 to v1.2 to v1.3 etc though I have been lucky and done a few where i skipped some revisions.
check dell support for the cmos resetting procedure for the c521
usually moving a jumper over on the mobo and also removing and reiinstalling the
battery can do wonders.
i have seen BIOSes do weird things until they were reset (I repair towers constantly)

here is link to resetting cmos BIOS
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimc521/en/SM_EN/syssetup.htm#wp1055788
also to service manual
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimc521/en/SM_EN/index.htm
If I read your posts right you are still using the computer with old CPU?
If that is true then I doubt you fried the BIOS
Usually with a Dell the BIOS works or doesnt work.
If the flash didnt work right you would have and expensive "brick"
try reinstalling the 5600 than doing the resetting bios procedure and then removing
and replacing the battery (leave it out for a few minutes)
then reboot into bios and see if cpu is recognized
sometimes BIOSes without being cleared are expecting to see the old cpu
when you reset it will give it a clean slate and read a new cpu
good luck

-Church-

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Well I removed the battery on the mobo for 15 minutes, put it back in, booted, and it still hung at the BIOS screen. (I don't know if this is important but the lights 2 and 4 light up. I already tried removing the graphics card I have installed to see if that was it but it wasn't) I also tried resetting the BIOS using the jumper method. Still didn't boot. I don't understand. I have Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate on the HDD, 4GB of RAM, and a Sapphire HD 5570 1GB. I don't know if that helps or not but those are my specs.

-Church-

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
I got a PM to check this thread.
I'm not around to much on Tom's like I use to be.
this is an interesting development huh...?
It's 930PM EST FL-US and I will take a better look in the morning.
A few quick things:
1.) does the unit run windows properly right now with the old cpu or are you constantly stuck and it doesn't boot with the new cpu only.?
just wanting clarification..
2.) how did you attempt to update the BIOS.? and is the BIOS version 1.1.11 or what.?
as a listed in the reference thread, I downloaded the BIOS while in windows and ran the BIOS update while still in windows
and let the Dell utility do it for me with all USB devices unplugged except for keyboard and mouse..
3.) if you have removed your gfx card (video card) and try to boot the unit with the old and then the new processor and the new processor
doesn't work then:
I KIND OF THINK THAT THE PROCESSOR (NEW) ITSELF IS BAD.

important:
DOES THE OLD PROCESSOR REGISTER IN THE BIOS AND THE NEW PROCESSOR DOESN'T.?

you might be in good shape if you can run windows like in question 1.)
if not then you might want to think about eBay and a replacement motherboard but, we can try a few things before it MIGHT come to that.
that's if by chance that the new processor is indeed good and not bad.
don't worry just yet.
perform the steps above and report back.
good-luck and I'll check back tomorrow..
To clarify, the unit does indeed work while using the old CPU. For the BIOS update I am on revision 1.1.11 (Which I assume is the latest). No, I have not tried the steps suggested in question three. I will try that out now.

Here is how the system behaves when trying to install the 5600+: I install the CPU and it will go to the blue Dell BIOS screen but the bar will not move and it will hang there with the frontal diagnostic lights reading 2 and 4. When I remove the new processor and I install the old one, it will boot no problem.

By the way I have actually purchased two of these thinking that the first one I got must've gotten damaged during transit and/or it was too demanding power wise (I'm still running on the stock 280W PSU). So I have the following models.

The processor that came with the machine: SDA3400IAA3CN (AMD Sempron 3400+ @ ~1.8 GHz)

The processor I wanted to install originally: ADA5600IAA6CZ (AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ @ ~2.8 GHz [Non-EE, Windsor Core])

The processor I purchased as a result for the first one not working: ADO5600IAA5DO (AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ @ ~2.9 GHz [EE Model, Brisbane Core])

If you want to know the specifications here they are:

AMD Sempron 3400+ (@ ~1.8 GHz)
http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=143&f1=AMD+Sempron%E2%84%A2&f2=3400%2b&f3=1800&f4=256&f5=AM2&f6=F2&f7=90nm+SOI&f8=62+W&f9=1600&f10=False&f11=False&f12=False

4 GB of DDR2 (@ 533 MHz)

80 GB (74 GB Real) Western Digital HDD (SATA)

Sapphire ATi HD 5570 (1GB of GDDR3)
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=000101&pid=318

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 Bit

-Church-

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
and have you tried the new processor without the gfx card installed, just using the on-board.?.
Oh, you are trying that now.
OK.

Well I tried removing the discrete GPU I had installed, installing the drivers for on-board, and installing the new CPU (The Windsor and the EE Brisbane). Neither booted while installed, they did both, however, cause the screen to have some artifacts of some sort on the BIOS splash. I find that to be very odd, this makes me think that the motherboard has some sort of defect or hardware problem.

Here is a picture of what it does. By the way the 2 and 4 frontal diagnostic lights are still lit. On one boot it has artifacts, power down and reboot, it doesn't, reboot again it does... Very odd.

Artifacts:
2z817kn.jpg

Boot without artifacts:
2e1ccoo.jpg

Higher Resolution download if you can't see them well.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3QJI7VV5

-Church-

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
OK.
install the working processor
boot into windows and perform nVidia 'clean sweep' and un-install everything.
you shouldn't have to install drivers for the on-board video.
and did you have drivers installed with your old gfx card or just the drivers that windows installed.?

"Clean sweep"? So I assume you mean unstall all the nVidia drivers. Also, yes I installed my graphics card drivers at first from the CD then updated them via the ATi website.

Edit:

So do you want me to again remove my discrete graphics card, then use the drivers that windows provides for me when I boot via on-board graphics?

-Church-

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
after removing ALL nVidia drivers do not install any drivers.
just boot unit and let windows install what it wants and feels it needs.

then check for the pixel-ated or artifacts in screen

OK, I understand now. Sorry for the confusion, I'll try that now.

-Church-

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
OK, it booted once with the dual core, after having the artifacts for the first initial boot, not the second, then turning on. I restarted the computer because Windows 7 told me because it added a driver by itself, now won't start and has artifacts and doesn't at random boot intervals. This is extremely confusing as to why it's doing this. As usual if I install the old CPU it's fine...

so just to clarify
it booted successfully with the 5600+ then Win7 installed a driver and now it wont boot?

-Church-

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
OK, everything removed, floppy drive, CD drive, everything. Besides the HDD and the dual core. Still randomly boots with artifacts and without, but will not do a successful post. The 2 light only comes on after I have taken out and installed a CPU, after a second attempt to pass POST the 2 and 4 lights come on.