CPU Posting 2 Different speeds

Astrofinity

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I wanted to Overclock my i7 950 but im not too experienced at it,so i use the auto over clock which posted 3705mhz in the bios but in the system setting and using the Evga E-Leet tool iy says 3.06ghz.i thought it only applied those settings during gaming so i manual over clocked it with setting found on other forums to 4ghz but its still not posing in either.so im not sure what the problem is.

System build
CPU: i7 950
M/B: Asus Sabertooth x58
Ram:6 gigs Corsair Dominator
GPU:2Gtx 460
PSU: Ultra x4 750w

thanks in advance

opexx

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
well you may not be able to overclock in the first place. is it a custom build or is it an OEM machine (dell, gateway, asus, etc.) If its a custom build and not one built by a company then you can overclock. otherwise, chances are you can't overclock since most companies disable it in bios and there's no way to fix that unless you flash the bios or have a cracked bios.

overclocking is fairly easy. and also impossible to manually do with any program or while logged into windows. while the machine is starting spam f8 and f10 to get into bios. then you'll look for something about memory speeds or bus speeds or anything. what you want to change is FSB. look at the current number and add 50-100 and it SHOULD display what the new cpu speed will be. and unless you have liquid cooling or some crazy air setup, don't increase more than say .5ghz.

Astrofinity

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Cpuid comes with the Evga's E-Leet Tool and while gaming it posted 3337.5 mhz max while play BBC2

@Opexx its coustom and i have a Corsair A70 for cooling.And in the bios it posted 4k mhz

Astrofinity

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
thank you all.
now the real challenge begins tried for 4.2 and im not sure if it was the voltage settings or my cooler but during prime 95 it spike to 97c instantly but im sitting at 4.04ghz

97C is a very bad thing ..... 72-75C is as high as most peeps will go. Follow the guide here:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&id=20081220191040237&board_id=1&model=P6T%20Deluxe&page=2&count=66

If your aiming for a 4 GHz OC, I'd be wanting a 1st tier (Top Performers) from the list here:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=447&Itemid=62

I don't expect much out of the H series coolers as they run about 5C hotter than the better air coolers.....see the lonk below:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=371&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=11

When doing my son's box, using the Asus auto OC features, I found that the logic increased Vcore voltage substantially ....we were hitting 75C at 3.8 GHz and 80C at 4 GHz with the Megahalems. I'll bet if you check the Hardware Monitor section of the BIOS, your voltage is up quite a bit.

In the Asus OC guide, pay particular attention to the Voltage optimization section. Following this procedure, he's at 55-58C at 3.8 GHz (HT and all other BIOS features fully functional), 72-74 at 4.0 GHz (HT Off) and 71-73 at 4.2 GHz (HT on but about 9 other BIOS tweaks)