Sign in with
Your question

Noob ? about cooling and a new case

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 17, 2010 10:28:11 PM

Hey all,

Im a noob at building computers, but I like to play video games. I recently bought SC 2 and was wondering why it kept crashing. I dl'ed HWMonitor and the results shocked me. I now know why it kept crashing...the Video Card Temp was at 117 CELSIUS

Here is a read out of HWMonitor on Idle, the only thing open right now is Firefox:

Hardware monitor Fintek F8000
Voltage 0 1.70 Volts [0xD5] (VIN0)
Voltage 1 1.72 Volts [0xD7] (VIN1)
Voltage 2 1.66 Volts [0xCF] (VIN2)
Temperature 0 52°C (125°F) [0x34] (TMPIN0)
Temperature 2 35°C (94°F) [0x23] (TMPIN2)
Fan 0 1574 RPM [0x3B9] (FANIN0)
Fan 1 1157 RPM [0x511] (FANIN1)
Register space LPC, base address = 0x0290

Hardware monitor ACPI
Temperature 0 35°C (94°F) [0xC0A] (THRM)

Hardware monitor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Temperature 0 56°C (132°F) [0x2C] (Core #0)
Temperature 1 52°C (125°F) [0x30] (Core #1)
Temperature 3 51°C (123°F) [0x31] (Core #3)
Temperature 2 52°C (125°F) [0x30] (Core #2)

Hardware monitor NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Temperature 0 108°C (226°F) (GPU Core)

Hardware monitor WDC WD80 0JD-75MSA3
Temperature 0 40°C (103°F) [0x28] (Assembly)
Temperature 2 40°C (103°F) [0x28] (Air Flow)

This is running way too hot I can imagine based on my limited knowledge/research.

What would be the best course of action from here on out?

My machine is an HP m8120n I bought beginning of 2008.

Ive done research into cases, looking at the Cooling Master HAF 922 and 933, would switching to a case like this help me? Or do I need more?

Currently, my computer is so damn jam packed how they sent it it's ridiculous, and I'm sure that is causing part of the problem.

Would a new case be a good enough fix? Or do I need to go to liquid cooling?

Any help is greatly appreciated, help a noob out!!

More about : noob cooling case

a b U Graphics card
September 18, 2010 12:33:35 AM

In you case a good case would make a huge difference. The HAF 922 is a good choice.
Is the motherboard original or have you upgraded?
If upgraded do you plan on overclocking? If so I would recommend an aftermarket cooler.
m
l
Related resources
September 18, 2010 1:34:45 AM

the motherboard is original. i do not plan on overclocking...the only game i would play on this pc is SC2...i also do photoshop work, which I do not think would be a problem.

my main concern is that my videocard is 107degrees C while IDLING.. that is ridiculously high is it not?

in response to ct: i do know about that fix, but my main concern is the fact of my videocard idling so high...it makes me think i need to do a lot more work than just punch in some script.

also ct, why is moving an HP harder than building a new PC? propieratry issues? would you please elaborate further? i will google it now as well.

thanks guys
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
September 18, 2010 1:53:56 AM

it can be an issue for various reasons depending on your actual model. Some use BTX motherboards, some have proprietary internal connectors between the case and mobo. You need to check those out and make sure all your internal hardware is compatible with a new case.
m
l
September 18, 2010 2:06:03 AM

again, i am an extreme noob with computer building..but let me try to decipher what you mean...

when hp builds a computer they make it so it "links" to the case they ship it in. in other words, they make it a pain in the ass to transfer to another 3rd party case maker.

here is my motherboard:

I open CPU-Z and click on the "Mainboard Tab"

Manufacturer: ASUSTek Computer INC.
Model: Basswood 3g 1.05
Chipset: Intel P965/G965

does this help you at all in determining whether or not I can successfully transfer to a new 3rd party case?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 18, 2010 2:20:38 AM

Can you post some good pics of the inside of the case that might help.
I do agree with ct1615 if the connnections are proprietary it would be easier to start from scratch or try to mod the case.
m
l
September 18, 2010 3:32:22 AM

dirty thanks for the input!

i will post pics asap... do you just want me to take off the side panel and take a pic of that?

again...very sorry if this is all trivial i am an extreme noob when it comes to this. you all have been very helpful by taking your time to help me out, for this i am extremely grateful!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 18, 2010 3:51:47 AM

Remove the cover and it may help to remove the video card so we can get a good look at all the connections on the board. If I dont respond back I went to bed but someone else can give you a hand if not I will post first thing in the morning. Also if you can get a picture of the back of the all drives to make sure they arent proprietary, they probably arent but better to make sure. I know Dell had alot of proprietary drives but im not sure about HP.
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
September 18, 2010 4:05:16 AM

it looks like a regular mATX board so it should fit into a new case
m
l
September 18, 2010 5:59:51 AM

ct1615 said:

do you think if i get a new case it will drop my Video Card temp? Like I said its running 107-108 C idle! that is ridiculously high! would a new case w. good fans cure the problem?
m
l
September 18, 2010 7:02:41 AM

Yes, the new case will do you a lot of improvement as far as the temperatures go. And you could dust off your gpu cooler. Just as a generality, use a can of compressed air and blow inside and out of the cooler.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 18, 2010 1:00:29 PM

You should se improvement in temps on your Videocard as well as your CPU.
Did you get any pics.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 18, 2010 1:07:22 PM

ct1615 said:

I am not sure if the link I posted is the same board quicksilver has or not. It is the only thing I could find that was close to what quicksilver posted from cpuz. That is why I wanted to see pics. It would be a good comparison. :D 
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
September 18, 2010 1:09:39 PM

quiksilver1480 said:
do you think if i get a new case it will drop my Video Card temp? Like I said its running 107-108 C idle! that is ridiculously high! would a new case w. good fans cure the problem?

will the temps drop? sure

first i would take a side panel off your case and stick a desk fan next to your PC and see how that does, if your GPU does not drop to a reasonable temp then you have a more serious issue with it then case airflow.
m
l
!