Pci-e 6 pin direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copelander

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
I now know WHERE each cable goes thanks to a youtube video that showed labels on each PSU 6-pin connector. I have it mounted upside down per my case and didn't see them.

So basically I just want to know why my 6-pin pci-e power connectors have only 4 wires. There 6 prongs at one end and only 4 on the other.

Copelander

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
I'm using my wife's mac and can't figure out how to get my iphone pic to be read. Think about it this way. It's about a 16in cable with your typical 6pin connector on either end. On one end it has 6 wires (3 yellow and 3 black) with six pins and it is stamped pci-e. On the other end of the cable there are only 4 wires (2yellow and 2 black) Hence there are only 4 pins inside the plastic housing that can house 6 pins. One would assume the end marked pci-e with 6 wires... goes to the GPU... the other end goes to the PSU.

OK before there is any mistakes made what model is your card? At the very least take a pic of the bare card on the table so I know right away. The reason is why that I don't remember seeing Matrox cards needing a power connector. Unless it is something else just post a pic.

If it has 6 prongs at one end (the side that plugs into the PSU) and 4 on the other, it's not likely used for your GPU.

There are 2 types of cables that meet that description, one is used to go to your motherboard, and is not always used, depending on the motherboard, the other is a molex used mostly for legacy hardware and fans.

Copelander

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Both ends have the same sized, same shape 6-prong plastic housing. What I'm saying, is that it goes from 6 pins and wires on one end.. to 4 wires and pins on the other. Both ends look the same unless you look into the holes. And, again, the end that's marked pci-E (stamped onto the plastic connector and labeled with a sticker) is the one with all six.

I hope this posting works.

2ia8jys.jpg

IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/19uykx.jpg[/IMG]

Copelander

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010

Copelander

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Okay, that's what I thought. Manual for PSU was fairly limited. I'm no techie by any stretch, but I've built two computers, and torn others apart. They're just always something a little different on each one and I don't stay up to date. Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS