Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Dell Studio Xps
  • Dell
  • Core
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 8, 2010 6:53:26 PM

The dell xps 7100 is the AMD 6 core Dell. I have the 1035t and I want to replace the 1035t with the new 1100t comming out the 1035t is 2.6ghz and the 1100t is 3.3ghz so i figure 700mhz on each core will be a pretty big difference. Now I got some freinds telling me you cant upgrade the dell others saying the bios wont recognize the 1100t since its not a configuration option on the website and others saying since its a thuban jus like the 1035t so it will work. My question is can i simply unplug the 1035t and plug in the 1100t put cooler back on hit the power button to turn it on and im done or will i be wasting my money and it wont work, or is it more complicated then this?

More about : dell xps 7100 user upgrade question

November 8, 2010 7:36:21 PM

The system is:

AMD Phenom II 1035T
1GB GDDR5 Radeon 5870
4GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM
3.5" OCZ Vertex 2 240GB Boot/App Drive
2TB Western Digital Black Secondary Drive
Asus Xonar Essence STX PCI-E Soundcard
600 watt Thermaltake PSU (the 400 watt one that came with it didnt have enough power connectors)
20x DVD-RW 48x CD_RW combo drive
19x card reader

What I've already replaced:
5450 graphics card came with. Was disappointed in its performance so I got a 5870 and I'm immensely pleased with it and am hoping it lasts till the 8000 series radeons come out.

Came with internal 7.1 sound built in the motherboard. This realtek sound was complete crap. Sound quality was even worse then my 7 yr old soundblaster audigy 2 card. I only need 2 channel audio on my computer dont really care for surround sound in games and surround sound sucks when listening to music. Asus Xonar Essence STX is an amazing professional quality 2 channel solution. Look it up it screams nothing but quality. It even needs its own power connection from the PSU. I only had 1 PCI-E expansion slot and this is what went there as I didnt have dell include the PCI-E wireless card.

Came with a 500Gb HDD first i bought one of those new full size 3.5" OCZ Vertex 2 SSD. It was nice cause it didnt need an adapter and fit right in the expansion slot and the 240GB size was way more then enough space to hold my apps/games/OS. I hear its good to leave the SSD 50% empty and i only use 90GB out of 240GB and got everything I need. I sold the 500GB drive and bought a 2TB Western Digital Black drive to hold all my music and media files.

Dell CAme with a 16x DVD-RW but i had a 20x in my old comp that was fairly new so i swapped those.

the 460 watt psu didnt have enough power connectors so I got a 600 watt thermaltake. I felt better doing this anyways because I added a power hungry sound card and went from a 5450 to a 5870

Dont know if any of that helps but basically I feel like the 1035t is a little slow and I'm really hoping I can put the 1100t in and get a noticeable speed increase in extracting rars and transcoding video. So please tell me the dell xps 7100 will allow me to change the 1035t to the 1100t by just popping it in and turning it on.

m
l
November 8, 2010 8:01:43 PM

For all the upgrading you have done woudlnt it have been better to build the system yourself? Afterall the upgradeing its no longer in warranty. As per the upgrade question it is an unknown. In theory it should but it is an unknown (unless Dell will tell you) as it isnt an architecture change just a speed increase, which leads to a different question. Is it worth the upgrade? I honestly would say no unless you are doing photoshop, video encoding etc. The AMD 6 core CPU's arent that great at gaming VS AMD's 4 core higher clocked options.

If I "had" to spend the money I would buy a new motherboard and overlock the 1035t. The new motherboard would also give you a much wider range of CPU's, but I wouldnt drop money on a new CPU as Bulldozer is coming out soon.
m
l
Related resources
November 8, 2010 10:05:37 PM

nah dont like building systems myself from scratch plus wasnt sure what i needed (power wise) so i bought a cheap dell after all my discounts and everything it was only 620 dollars after tax

and theyve done testing and the fastest 4 core was like 1-2 fps ahead of the fastest 6 core in gaming. I do a ton of video transcoding converting various videos into dvd images. Maybe 5-10 transcodes per day so i wanted a 6 core.

I dont care about bulldozer my 7 year old dell broke (the motherboard stopped powering up completely) I wanted to wait for sandy bridge but this happened and i was caught with my pants down so to speak. Didnt have alot of money so i got the lowest build possible 1035 + 5450 + 4GB ram + 500 Gb HDD xps 7100 and decided i'd see how it ran and upgrade whatever I need to when I get more money later on. I appreciate your suggestions but I did the way I did things for a reason.

4 core is useless to me as I transcode many dvd's daily this is an extremely important task to me. I'm 30 years old and I'm not into like these real new games so much. I spend most of my time on a 2d MMORPG called Tibia. I do play starcraft 2 but the 1035t and 5870 max that game out full settings 1920 x 1080. Now that I look back i probly didnt even need to get the 5870 but with my gaming habits the 5870 should be enough for many years to come. Might even end up keeping this one 7 years like i did my last one.

Most of my time on the computer is spent making and extracting large rars, transcoding various video formats to dvd images, using utorrent, browsing the web, using messaging software, playing an online game that is 2d.

Basically I believe upgrading the 1035t to an 1100t should make a decent difference in transcoding video and extracting rars its 700mhz more on each core. The 6 core amd is the best price/performance chip for transcoding video which is my primary use. I download alot movies and make alot of dvd's for myself, family, and friends. The movies ive made for free they alone have paid me back all the money i spent on this computer.

So does anyone know if this dell will accept an 1100t, I've seen on the site its been confiugurable with a 1035/1055/1065/1075 so all of those have to work but i havent seen it offered with a 1090/1100 common sense would say if it can use all those other 6 cores then why not the top 2 ones but who knows if the bios will recognize those 2 for sure? So does anyone know if the 1100t will work?
m
l
November 13, 2010 3:32:56 AM

Does nobody out there know if this computer will accept an 1100t? Dell has offered the 1035t/1045t/1055t/1065t/1075t/ and now they do offer the 1090t. I have a very very very good feeling that it will accept the 1100t. It has been offered with EVERYYYY single other AMD 6 core there is no way its not going to work with the 1100t when dell has offered it with every other chip. What do you guys think? Does it look pretty damn good that the 1100t is going to work if every single other phenom II x6 works?
m
l
March 14, 2011 4:22:47 PM

Quote:
hold on bro...
i'll get back to you i have to look something up.
you can upgrade you Dell don't worry about that.
there might also be overclocking in that model available, I'm not sure about which model in particular but Dell
did finally open the BIOS up for overclocking in a few units.
it's a kick-ass unit and a lot of people go on hearsay and really don't know.
just because some people have had a bad experience in the past and/or they think they're expert builders well more than likely there not.
it's called hating..

but what you can do for now is to look for any possible BIOS updates for your unit and/or contact Dell and ask.
as far as the rest of your question if Dell (if you contact them) don't say, I'll let you know if i think it can be done.

Hey Malmental,

I'm in the same boat. Did you find anything? Appreciate it.
m
l
May 17, 2011 2:35:11 AM

Hey - strangely I'm looking at almost the same situation. I wanted to go with an inexpensive set-up already built, so I went with the XPS 7100 with a 1045T 6 core, with a 5670 card, and 6 GB of DDR3, and a 1TB drive. Now a few months later I want to drop in a 1090T or even the 1100T to improve speed (I have a buddy with the 1090T and it really is incredibly fast, especially for high level video editing, etc).

They both use socket AM3 so it should work, but I'm also having trouble finding someone to confirm if the new CPU will work or if the bios will need to be changed/updated.
Any advice?
m
l
May 22, 2011 3:36:41 AM

Update,
I found out that the TDP is the main problem with upping the CPU to a 1090T.
The 1035T/1045T are only 95w TDP chips, but the 1075T/1090T/and 1100T are 125w TDP chips.
The motherboard in my XPS 7100 will not support anything over a 95w TDP. There is a 1055T 95w version I found about as well, but the diff. between the 1045 and the 1055 is minimal, and not worth it. The only way is to change the motherboard and then the CPU. bummer.
m
l
May 22, 2011 3:38:47 AM

laststop311 said:
Does nobody out there know if this computer will accept an 1100t? Dell has offered the 1035t/1045t/1055t/1065t/1075t/ and now they do offer the 1090t. I have a very very very good feeling that it will accept the 1100t. It has been offered with EVERYYYY single other AMD 6 core there is no way its not going to work with the 1100t when dell has offered it with every other chip. What do you guys think? Does it look pretty damn good that the 1100t is going to work if every single other phenom II x6 works?

Did you see my reply. It will not work. TDP is too high on the 1100T.
m
l
!