Sign in with
Your question
Closed

EVGA GTX 285 Crashes my computer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 18, 2010 12:20:00 AM

Hey everyone, this problem has been happening for a couple months now but its been barable until now.

My GTX 285 crashes EVERY single time i play Starcraft 2 online. It can happen as soon as 10 seconds in, to about 20 minutes into the game... This problem happened in COD4, MW2, and BFBC2 once and a while, not every time but still happened.

The screens (2 monitors) will all the sudden turn random colours. The sound of the game is still playing, and it only loops sometimes. A reset wont even fix it, the only way to revive my computer is to manually hold the power button down and turn it back on..

Ive updated all of my drivers,used DiverSweep, deleted all of my drivers, and reinstalled them all again.. didnt work.

The temps while im playing are dont get higher then 65'C..

Any ideas? I Bought this PC from CyberPowerPC almost a year ago now and im not sure if this is covered by the warranty.

Any help/info would be great! Thanks!
a b Î Nvidia
September 18, 2010 12:29:23 AM

how long have you had the issues? since you got the PC? a few weeks after you got it?
it could very well be the PSU, did you upgrade it from the basic PSU cyberpower offered?
Score
September 18, 2010 12:39:08 AM

I didnt game on it much when i bought it in Oct 2009. But the first time i gamed it had these problems yes. It didnt get to the point of crashing every game until i started playing SC2. For example it has NEVER done this in Supreme Commander 2 and ive spent hours on that game.

CPU: i7 920
Power: 1000W Corsair
RAM: 6GB Kingston 1600MHZ

These are my Idle temps..
Score
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
September 18, 2010 1:05:02 AM

all the drivers are up to date? power cable is firmly plugged into the video card?
is it still under warranty?
Score
September 18, 2010 4:08:03 AM

Updated all drivers, then removed them with Driver Sweeper, then installed them again.

I took the card out, put it in a new slot, and made sure the cables are secure, so i dont believe that is the problem.

As for Warranty i have absolutely not idea since it was make at CyberPowerPC..
Score
September 18, 2010 5:37:02 PM

At this point im ready to just buy a new graphics card..
This does seem like the GPU is the problem thought right.. id hate to buy a new one and find out its something else like my CPU overheating..
Score
a b Î Nvidia
September 18, 2010 6:46:51 PM

well if its under warranty you won't need to purchase a new card. see how long cyberpower will cover your hardware.
Score
September 19, 2010 12:06:54 AM

Ive sent Cyberpower a message, lets hope for the best.
Im going to leave this thread open for now in case its not covered by warranty.
Thanks for the advice/support ct1615 :) .
Score
a b Î Nvidia
September 19, 2010 12:33:56 AM

FYI, their customer service has been spotty. If they don't get back to you in a timely manner you may want to give them a call or two....or five
Score
September 19, 2010 2:18:16 AM

im calling monday morning when their office opens ;) .
I just realized that i bought it on Sept 23rd, 2009.
So that really damn close to 1 year!

Assuming the warranty is good and i have to send it away im probably going to want to buy something else until it comes back.
And once it does come back could i possibly make it a PhysX card?

What are your opinions man?
Score

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
September 19, 2010 2:25:19 AM

TSSPat said:
im calling monday morning when their office opens ;) .
I just realized that i bought it on Sept 23rd, 2009.
So that really damn close to 1 year!

Assuming the warranty is good and i have to send it away im probably going to want to buy something else until it comes back.
And once it does come back could i possibly make it a PhysX card?

What are your opinions man?

lets hope they don't ask for the whole PC back

if they just want the GTX 285 back you could get a second card for PhysX, i prefer nvidia cards but I'm not a fan of PhysX. We discussed the topic about a week ago

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...
September 19, 2010 9:27:37 PM

Ya im under the same impression that PhysX is more of a gimmick then anything, what are my other choices..?

I guess i could buy another 285 and do a dual SLI?
Would i see a big improvement?
Score
September 29, 2010 11:58:21 PM

Damn, after fighting with CyberpowerPC they refuse to replace it whatsoever. What other options do i have other then buying a new one?

Could this be a PSU problem not supplying enough volts?
Score
October 7, 2010 7:39:07 PM

Hey everyone! After reading some other forums with people having the same problem as I am it seems the quick fix was to just tune down the Core Clock and the Memory Clock.. this has made my card very stable and it hasnt crashed once in the past week.. Ive noticed a huge lack in the performance but at least it doesnt crash...

Best response goes to ct1615 for his help thoughout the post.
Score
October 7, 2010 7:39:24 PM

Best answer selected by TSSPat.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
October 7, 2010 7:41:07 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!