Sign in with
Your question

450 psu on i7 ATI Firegl v8650

Last response: in Systems
November 8, 2010 7:32:15 PM

heres the question
if i have a 450 psu and my i7 and vid card use the 450 alone is this going to degrade my computers hardware?

ok so i have a

msi X58M (MS-7593)
intel core i7 930 (1366) 2.8ghz
16 gb ram (4X4gb)
ATI Fire GL V8650 (2 gb pro graphics card)
1 tb seagate hd
tr2-rx450 thermal take 450 watt psu

my original configuration supplied was
8gb ram
and radeon 5750 1 gb

i had the extra ram (shouldn't matter)
and the video card wasnt quite up to par for inventor and other programs i use

is it just me or should i get a 550-750W psu?

the tech that provided the WS installed the vid card for me and its all supposed to be under warranty
he got a wee bit lippy today and i cant help but look for help elsewhere.
thanks in advance,
-kyle
November 9, 2010 2:32:54 PM

thank you for the info rolli
that's exactly what i assumed.
the pc tech that built it says (talking about 450)
"Yes the power supply was more than adequate for the original configuration. If the power supply runs hot or the computer is not running correctly, replacement would certainly be in order.
If the power supply quits within the 1 year warranty period it will be replaced at no charge. Beyond that it is impossible to say that the PS would cause other items to quit. I have never seen
a power supply in a PC cause other components to fail. This is an SMPS as opposed to a linear power supply. We have a lot of variables in our area, such as dust and dirt, which can limit the cooling,
and a lot of rough weather, and or power conditions which put extra stress on equipment."

is it just me or is he saying that sure the psu is covered but if it causes anything else to malfunction its not?

i dunno, i think he's ripping us off. their motto is if it aint broke dont fix it.

you guys know if this configuration will wear down my other components?
m
l
Related resources
November 9, 2010 3:26:58 PM

If we were talking a quality PSU like Corsair VX450 it probably would run fine but that Thermaltake unit leaves a lot to be desired, no active pfc and low amps on the +12volt rail. Manufacturers recommendations is always over inflated because of Generic cheap PSU´s which is what that TT PSU almost falls under.
m
l
November 11, 2010 5:43:10 PM

rolli59 said:
If we were talking a quality PSU like Corsair VX450 it probably would run fine but that Thermaltake unit leaves a lot to be desired, no active pfc and low amps on the +12volt rail. Manufacturers recommendations is always over inflated because of Generic cheap PSU´s which is what that TT PSU almost falls under.

do you know if or what this will cause to happen. i have been running this setup for about 3 mos now and it seems alright.
also the v8650 requires 1 6pin power and either another 6 pin or an 8 pin. what difference might i see if i had the 8 pin hooked up?
m
l
!