Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Shared vs Dedicated Graphics

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 18, 2010 2:12:47 AM

Hello,

I have been looking for information on dedicate vs shared graphics. I understand that in general dedicated is better, but I recently got a new machine with ~1.7ish GB shared (8 GB total system), however I have a 1 GB Radeon 4650 from an older machine. Which is better? Is it worth the trouble putting it in (voiding warrently and all, but that is not a big concern...).

I use it for games and video editing mostly (or plan too).

Thanks in advance for any input!!

[updated]

Thanks for the input. Now, if I can just get it to display the right resolution... 1600X is the highest option, but my monitor is a 1080p HGTV (1920X). The integrated graphics did fine with it. I updated the drivers and CCC but no better resolution options. Does anyone know of issues with this card and HGTVs?

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 18, 2010 2:28:54 AM

Most integrated graphics are junk for games, If you are going to play games a dedicated graphics is recommended. The HD4650 will destroy Integrated graphics

Look at the hierarchy chart here at Toms

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-rad...

You will see that the HD4650 is a lot better the any integrated GPU.

Most computer makers will not void a warranty if you install hardware, They will not cover the hardware you install.
a c 106 U Graphics card
September 18, 2010 3:30:25 AM

Put in the 4650. Even a slower crappy 64-bit model 4650 with DDR2 will be faster than your integrated graphics
Related resources
September 18, 2010 4:55:36 AM

A snail would be faster then your integrated graphics
a c 189 U Graphics card
September 18, 2010 10:43:04 AM

^
Agree with all posers above, any dedicated card would still FAR better than onboard graphic... :) 
a c 79 U Graphics card
September 18, 2010 11:21:23 AM

Sam Z said:
t a new machine with ~1.7ish GB shared (8 GB total system),

the (shared) memory size doesn't really mean anything, it's the actuall GPU chip that counts.... The shared memory size is just a big number that the marketing people like to use to make sound 'better'

and +1 to all above
a b U Graphics card
September 18, 2010 11:31:08 AM

Which is better? Is it worth the trouble putting it in (voiding warrently and all, but that is not a big concern...). said:
Which is better? Is it worth the trouble putting it in (voiding warrently and all, but that is not a big concern...).

you can go to youtube and watch some step by step guide on how to install a graphics card physically if you're a little nervous.
September 26, 2010 7:30:32 PM

Best answer selected by Sam Z.
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 26, 2010 7:32:51 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!