Closed Solved

Shared vs Dedicated Graphics

Hello,

I have been looking for information on dedicate vs shared graphics. I understand that in general dedicated is better, but I recently got a new machine with ~1.7ish GB shared (8 GB total system), however I have a 1 GB Radeon 4650 from an older machine. Which is better? Is it worth the trouble putting it in (voiding warrently and all, but that is not a big concern...).

I use it for games and video editing mostly (or plan too).

Thanks in advance for any input!!

[updated]

Thanks for the input. Now, if I can just get it to display the right resolution... 1600X is the highest option, but my monitor is a 1080p HGTV (1920X). The integrated graphics did fine with it. I updated the drivers and CCC but no better resolution options. Does anyone know of issues with this card and HGTVs?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about shared dedicated graphics
  1. Best answer
    Most integrated graphics are junk for games, If you are going to play games a dedicated graphics is recommended. The HD4650 will destroy Integrated graphics

Look at the hierarchy chart here at Toms

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-radeon-hd-5570-gaming,2697-7.html

You will see that the HD4650 is a lot better the any integrated GPU.

Most computer makers will not void a warranty if you install hardware, They will not cover the hardware you install.
  2. Put in the 4650. Even a slower crappy 64-bit model 4650 with DDR2 will be faster than your integrated graphics
  3. A snail would be faster then your integrated graphics
  4. ^
    Agree with all posers above, any dedicated card would still FAR better than onboard graphic... :)
  5. Sam Z said:
    t a new machine with ~1.7ish GB shared (8 GB total system),

the (shared) memory size doesn't really mean anything, it's the actuall GPU chip that counts.... The shared memory size is just a big number that the marketing people like to use to make sound 'better'

and +1 to all above
  6. Quote:
    Which is better? Is it worth the trouble putting it in (voiding warrently and all, but that is not a big concern...).

you can go to youtube and watch some step by step guide on how to install a graphics card physically if you're a little nervous.
  7. Best answer selected by Sam Z.
  8. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics