Hope I'm not up a creek

afterburn

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Hi all, after thinking I did all the research on tomshardware.com and with Dell I am now reading various threads and I hope I'm not up a creek, here's my story:

I bought a Dell XPS7100 with Dell installed ATI Radeon HD5670 card in it. I also bought 3 Samsung 20" SMB2030 monitors from Sams and received and setup everything today.

Now, the reason I bought the XPS7100 in the first place is that the Dell dude from India said that eyefinity will only work on an AMD processor w/ the Dell XPS7100 and that eyefinity wouldn't work with XPX8100 or XPS9100 because of problems with the Intel processors/chipsets that come as the default on those models, so I went with a 6 core AMD processor on the XPS7100.

Now that I opened everything I see that the graphics card has vga out, HDMI out and DVI out. This surprised me because when I was chatting with the Dell dude he said it came with 2 DVI's and 1 HDMI. Reading some other threads on multiple monitor setups with ATI Radeon, I think you all know where I'm going on this. Now that everything is setup, only 2 monitors appear to be natively supported and regardless of the monitors I enable only dual monitor configuration works, I cannot get the 3rd monitor to show anything.

I need to figure out what to do here, I will return this Dell and have the chat log that proves what they said was wrong, but I hate to do that as I have just opened all these new early christmas presents tonight and have been waiting 2 weeks for em. My question is, can I just plop another ATI card in there if a slot is available or replace the damn card with a new ATI card that doesn't have the VGA port and expect it to work? Or I also read about some kind of active eyefinity dongle that could be used to plug into the VGA port?

Help! And Thanks!

Tech support from India = cow piss of the tech world. He was way wrong it does not matter what cpu or chipset so long it supports pci-e. Send the card back for a card that advertises eyefenity which is most of the 5k series cards out there. You should have it but there should be an option at the very least in the driver suite that enables this feature.

notty22

Distinguished
The card needs to have a display port, or you will never get the 3rd monitor working. Thats how the software works. If you don't have a native display port that card must not be certified for eyefinity.
14-102-870-Z02

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102870&cm_re=5670-_-14-102-870-_-Product

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
For configurations using more than two displays, additional displays must have DisplayPort connectors.

That is from AMDs website. The VGA adapter is to convert from the computer DisplayPort to a VGA monitor.

To have 3 Displays you need a video card that has 2 DVI + DisplayPort, of 1 DVI, 1 + 1 HDMI + 1 DisplayPort.

The Video card with VGA/HDMI/DVI can only do 2 displays.

afterburn

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010

Roger that!

afterburn

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010

Thanks all, this explains it. I have confirmed in sysinfo32 that in fact it is ATI Radeon 5670, and I have have searched everywhere for eyefinity on the configuration menus and there is nothing, eyefinity is not at all supported, and the thing is I specifically asked Dell what system/card I'd need for 3 monitors.

The Samsungs only have vga & dvi in, so it appears that I'm headed to BestBuy for a new card. I'd send the whole machine back, but I'm now assuming this is the case in all their models using ATI and I'd have to do the same swapout anyway. This will probably also void their warranty. I'll return the orignal card to Dell. They aren't getting any good press here, the original main monitor I bought for this system (a Dell SX2010) I'm already returning because it doesn't mount on the vesa compatible mount that I have for 3 monitors.

Thanks all and I hope this swapout goes smooth!

Matt

afterburn

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
I'm assuming something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-005B-DisplayPort-Single-Link-Certified/dp/B004071ZX0/ref=pd_sim_e_4

Too bad it's not released yet. If you're aware of one that I could get soon I'd greatly apreciate it. Unfortunately I live in a cornfield and all we have is BestBuy, and I didn't see these types of adapters in the store, so I know I'll have to order online.

I came across this one but assume it still won't work (with existing card) since the card I have doesn't support eyefinity

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-UltraAV-B101B-003B-Display-Adapter/dp/B003HC85D2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

notty22

Distinguished
ATI made a announcement they have some certified now, I'll look for the article.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetreviews/amd-issuing-budget-friendly-displayport-to-dvi-adapter/17688

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2010/08/30/low_cost_displayport_to_dvi_dongles_are_finally_here/

comment from a buyer says this works. And from past things I have read, users have had good luck using 'passive' display port to VGA , http://www.amazon.com/Accell-UltraAV-B101B-003B-Display-Adapter/dp/B003HC85D2/ref=pd_cp_e_1

CKLayoka

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Lol, asked a similar question about 3 weeks ago. I now run a DVI-DVI-DP/DVI eyefinity and am very satisfied! I got the adapter at NCIX. DON'T buy anything from bestbuy unless it is the most basic and cheapest part, and even then... they will overcharge you and con you. Use the internet, so you can actually compare all possible prices and specifications. If you are worried about not having it right away, just pay for rush shipping.

afterburn

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Thanks all, I now have an XFX Radeon HD 5770 with HDMI, DVI, DP and have the Accell DP >> Active VGA adapter ordered with 2 day shipping, hope this does the trick.

Next time I will not be getting Dell or anything close, that company has gone down the tubes.