benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I was going to build a cheap home server out of an amd dual-core but then i started looking at actual server parts and it didn't seem to much more expensive, and before someone points out the obvious I know using actual server hardware may be overkill for the time being but i want this server to be running for the next few years while I'm at uni so i wanna do a decent job on it. I'm planning on using a xeon 1230 processor and probably a s1200btl motherboard. The problem I'm having at the moment is locating some registered ECC ram that's not going to cost an arm and a leg, I'm trying to locate either 2x4gb sticks or 1x8gb stick (so i can stick more 8gb sticks in later) either 1066 or 1333mhz will do as long as it's not over $100. So far all the regular online retailers I've checked out don't have what I'm after or are out of stock. Can anyone recommend some RAM? I should mention I'm Australian so any International site is fine if they ship down under.

Also on a side note if you have any other recommendations for my build I'd like to hear them, at the moment I'm planning on using 3x2tb drives in raid5 with the possibility of expanding the array later.